The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 year old Rem 572 pump and want to get a williams peep sight for it. The catalog says they make dovetail peeps for 22s but they have some for high line of sights and some for low line of sights. Does anyone know what line of sight my 22 has so I dont need a new front sight. Thanks

·
Registered
889 Posts
Below is a picture of the Lyman 22 groove sight. This one is the target sight on my Winchester 9422. I have never heard tell of this in a high or low line of sight-but I am not doubting you. However the one in the picture is adjustable and should work with any front sight. However I always put a higher white bead on any rifle I put a peep sight on. I like the higher white sight because for me the white shows up better. And the higher it is the more light you can pick up through the aperture. You might also want to pick up a twilight aperture when you buy your sight. Tom.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
It is gonna be close. I had to put a higher front blade on a Winchester 9422 when I added the Williams dovetail groove peep - it was not hard to do and if you can put the peep on yourself you should be able to change out the front sight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My experience is limited to one rifle, Winchester M94 in 30-30. Like Hogghead, I never heard or read anything about High- or Low-line of sight. If you have to make a choice I'd go with the low sight - to avoid like trying to shoot something with see-thru scope mounts. I don't know how anyone can do it; I have to lift my cheek off the stock to see thru the scope, and there you go. Unlike Hogghead, I have left the factory silver front sight and have had good results. If it was mine, I'd put the peep on and try the rifle with the factory front sight (unless it's inherently hard for you to see). Also, try to get a medium and large aperture. A target sight is all but unusable unless it's in bright sunlight. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'd just get the low sight. Now you will have to remove the rear open sight. then take it to the range and shoot it. If you can't get the bullet low enough, you will need to get a higher front sight. I love receiver sights, but usually replace the front with a round Ivory bead or a Fire-sight. For hunting, I just seem to shoot peeps with a round front sight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts