The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if anyone could help me out here im just trying to clarify what i think is correct before i make a trip out there. Have been out there during the day but this will be my first night trip

hunting is allowed day or night for coyote and fox using a rifle...during firearms deer seasons only hunting at night with a rifle/shotgun is allowed...shotgun only during daylight

while moving at night you must display a single light visible for at least 1/4 mile (xlr 100 should satisfy this i believe)

ar's are legal hunting weapon

i will probably be hunting egypt valley/ the coal lands im not sure of any specific regs different to those places.

I just dont want to do anything illegal if anyone could let me know of any additional laws i may need to know or if i am wrong in the above statements i would greatly appreciate it.....thank you in advance

·
Registered
978 Posts
When I hunt out of state I go straight to the source for legal rules and regulations. I would contact Ohio DNR and get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Getting arrested/fined is what is at stake. Go the extra mile and get properly squared away by their DNR.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried contacting the dnr and can't seem to get a definate answer from anyone just keep getting referred to different phone numbers/departments....as far as using an ar I don't even own one so doesn't really matter a friend was thinking of joining me and we were trying to find out if he could carry it...I'm sure if I keep calling I will eventually get someone that can give me a real yes/no

·
Registered
47 Posts
Persons hunting, trapping, or pursuing furbearing animals at night must carry a continuous white light visible for at least 1/4 mile. When two or more persons are hunting or trapping together for furbearing animals, only one light is required and may be carried by any member of the party. Persons hunting foxes, coyotes, or raccoon with a call from a stationary position may use a single beam light of any color.

It is unlawful to possess a hunting device while training or working a dog pursuing coyotes from sunset to sunrise.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_general.aspx#methods

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everyone is right on cue with what they have posted so far, but not sure on the ar's . A lot of guys carry them here in Ohio. As far as Egypt Valley goes you are in for some stiff competition down there , lots of guys running dogs on that public area. Make sure you check the regulations on carrying a centerfire rifle on public hunting area in Ohio, they vary to each one you hunt. Great area too hunt, tons of ground. Actually too much , not hard to get turned around in some of the remote areas. If you need anymore help send me a pm , would be more than welcome to be of assistance.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Man where do they write this stuff? quadraped! walking around with flashlights visible for 1/4mile, haha why not relflective vests or glowsticks maby a cow bell. You can chase coyotes with dogs at night but you better not bring a GUN!!! I drive to cinn oh somtimes and see several real nice coyotes hit either way, there are lots of them so youll probably have luck. we might not beable to hunt with ARs but ill take that anyday over quadraped nonsence... goodluck

·
Registered
912 Posts
No centerfire rifles on Gov. land including coal land untill after January 1st. ARs are legal.
Hey arc, I grew up near you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts