The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,767 Posts
Ahhhh, ok.

No, you didn't have it fail to expand. What you did was you over-expanded the nose, which then sheered/blew off the front and the shank continued and exited.

This is EXACTLY what the Partition is meant to do...if you hit it THAT hard that you would have disintegrated a standard cup and core bullet (which is what would have happened in your case), the Partition's partition stops that disintegration, the nose still violently expands and blows off, and the shank (everything behind the partition in the core) keeps on truckin' and exits. That bullet performed exactly as it was designed to perform. Had you been using something with no partition in it, you likely would not have had any exit at all, unless you used a chemically bonded bullet (such as an Accubond or Interbond or the like).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m looking for a new deer rifle and need suggestions on caliber and perhaps make and model.

Right now nearly all of my hunting (deer, bear, elk) is done with my .300 Ultra Mag Model 70 Winchester. It’s a great gun in an awesome cartridge but it can get messy with deer if you hit bone...

I’m looking for something a little tamer but not too tame. I’m leaning towards a .308 or 7mm-08. I also have a .300 Savage in Model 99 Savage and it is a great round as well but I’m looking for a little more thump.

I’ll be up front about this right now...I am not interested in a 30-06. Nothing against it at all but I’ve always wanted to be a little different and literally every other hunter in the woods has an 06. It’s a great round and has killed many a deer but I’m just not into it.

So what do you think? Thanks for any suggestions.
Keep an open mind & don't overlook the new 350 legend if your not shooting past 200 yds.. I've found it to be quite a formidable round for deer or bear with a 160 or 180 grain pill. check out the stats on it & go from there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO the 7-08 is a near perfect deer round for PA , BUT other than the 280, I've never been able to warm up to 7mms. Had a 7 mag, wasn't impressed and sold it, sold 2 different 7-08s (killed 2 deer, it did fine). I'm more of a 30 cal and up guy for most of my hunting, at least for now.
So.....since the 06 is off your list take a look at the 35 whelen and 358 Win. Ruger did a special run of 358 Win recently so they're around as well as the occasional savage 99 in that round.
CDNN has compact rugers in 338 RCM for $499, I'm liking that round as well, took at deer with it, dropped on the spot, no excessive damage. People will tell you don't buy an RCM (300 or 338). Lay in a supply of ammo or get into reloading....no problem. I'm
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where is this magical place you speak of with $500 ruger compacts?!? I'm
Looking for one in .243 for my wife and have only been able to find them in the $800-1000 range[/QUOTE

·
Registered
437 Posts
Research the ballistics and get over judgements. It is all about the bullet construction anymore. 30-06 with 180's or 308 with 165s hard to beat for most situations depending on bullet used. 30 caliber is 30 caliber. If you need something different get a marlin 45/70 and hand load some tier 2 rounds.
Caliber alone is highly overrated.

·
Registered
17,857 Posts
he said that dec 9th, 2017

prices have gone up on everything since then, especially during the covid crisis.

Reactions: simoncool

·
Registered
437 Posts
For example our go to round the last few years is 30-06 180 sst slowed down to hot 308 velocity for an all around round now with bear opportunities during deer season.. Shoots well in both mine and hunting partners rifles. I pick a rifle depending on where what and how we are hunting. Geez, the 30-06 or 45/70 always seem to win out and all the others sit in the safe and dream about the day they will get to go hunting

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
MB as Graybeard said CDNNsports, but my post is a couple years old. You would have to check in with them regularly as they usually only have models that are being cleared out for some reason (not necessarily discontinued). They might have a 30, 40 or a hundred to get rid of and then they're gone.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Kimber hunter in .280 Ackley Improved. Great rifle and caliber at at a reasonable price. If you reload, otherwise same rifle in .308 or 7mm 08.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Research the ballistics and get over judgements. It is all about the bullet construction anymore. 30-06 with 180's or 308 with 165s hard to beat for most situations depending on bullet used. 30 caliber is 30 caliber. If you need something different get a marlin 45/70 and hand load some tier 2 rounds.
Caliber alone is highly overrated.
Well, if you want to be different, get it in .450 Marlin.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, if you want to be different, get it in .450 Marlin.....
If your hunting deer with a 450 or 444 or 45/70 be picky on your shots, IF you want the meat. shoulder shots ruin both. If ya get a chance, check out the 350 legend. I found it to be a good choice here in Ohio.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
If your hunting deer with a 450 or 444 or 45/70 be picky on your shots, IF you want the meat. shoulder shots ruin both. If ya get a chance, check out the 350 legend. I found it to be a good choice here in Ohio.
It really seems ridiculous that the 350 legend is legal in straight wall states whereas the .35 Rem is not. Basically ballistic equals.....one will not do what the other won't, including distance the projectile will travel. But I'm all for new cartridges....they keep us gun guys occupied. The 350 seems as though it would be an ideal choice for Ohio deer.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts