The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on how to reduce the amount of moisture in our camp. We have a couple windows that we leave cracked to help with air flow but there is still a lot of moisture. I know this a common thing for camps so I didn't know if anybody had ways to help reduce it.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
We always had moisture and dampness problems in our camp. We had to replace the floor this past summer. We got heavy plastic and laid it on top of the ground in the crawl space before replacing the flooring. Spread it corner to corner, wall to wall and put blocks on top of the edges to keep it in place. Seems to have helped alot. Going up since then the place is not nearly as damp or musty as it used to be. Pretty simple thing to do if you don't already have plastic in place. We also have openings in the block on the base of the camp with screens in them to circulate air in.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
We leave upstairs windows open with the the older metal louvered screens. Also down stairs has 4 windows withe the same style. Cracking them might not be enough.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
It wont be cheap but how about...

A solar panel to run a dehumidifier with a pipe run external of the camp so it never needs emptied.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Firecat keeping moisture away from underneath is important. Make sure your gutters are clear. If you have no gutters force the water away from camp. If you can get some sunlight onto roof and ground nearby it is ideal.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
plastic in the crawl space and louvered vents too. make sure water is not getting under there. keep the windows upstairs closed so the moisture is not drawn up into the living space. some amount of mustiness is inevitable in unoccupied spaces though.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
We live quite near Pine Creek, the hunidity is very high all the time here in our forest, we run a DeHumidifier all the time, its the only thing that really works for us.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm with Pine-Creek/Dave. The dehumidifier is the way to go. I bought one from Costco a few years back for my house, it has a pump in it so no emptying or having to rig it up to go into a sink. It ran about 200 bucks.

In 2010 our Cabin's basement was absolutely loaded with moisture, we never got any standing water in the basement but tons of moisture from the wet year. We then of course ran into a mold problem. Since then we're running 3 fans in the basement 24/7. we'll eventually have to go the dehumidifier route. The fans help a bit but just are not getting the job done.

Of course this might not be an option if your cabin doesn't have power, then you'll have to go a solar route or simple ventilation & plastic.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Dehumidifier is the ticket... But most kill all power when the camp is empty, so that won't get it done... Plastic in the crawl spaces along with BAKING SODA.. Just like in a fridge.. kills smell and absorbs.. Ya gotta keep putting in the baking soda every so often..

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Install two muffin fans in the crawl space vents. They draw very little power and are used mostly to control airflow in computer equipment rooms. They can turn over the air in a crawl space several times and hour. Worked great for my place. You also need to make sure you have a vapor barrier (like 6 mil plastic) in your crawl space.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
a good dehumidifier is the best way. If you still have some musty smell, try a bag of plain charcoal laid out in the cardboard trays that some beer and pop come in. Every oncein awhile, replace and rotate the charcoal to the fire pit or the grill and use it for a barbecue

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I would love to put a dehumidifier in out there but the main hold up is there's no electricity. I know that would the best way to deal with it. My main goal is just trying to reduce the amount of moisture that's there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We also use a dehumidifier. I was told that setting a few buckets of charcoal around helps with humidity and musty smell. I have not tried it yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts