The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an Asian orgy on my grape arbor and I don't like it. They are already chewing holes through the leaves and by the looks about to be laying eggs. Im a stickler for not using chemicals of any kind . Is there any natural repellent to deal with them? Five years on this farm now and first summer Ive had a problem with the dang things. So far they are leaving my garden alone. Hope i don't have to spray anything on the garden.

·
20,127 Posts
Beatle traps are a very poor idea unless you can put them very very far from the plants you want to save. While traps will kill many jap beatles they will attract many many more that dont get trapped.
Without chemicals I can't think of any why to control them other then to diligently shake them off the vine many times a day and/or collect them in a cup of soapy water. They get bad at my place every couple of years and we go out to the peach trees 4 times a day and just knock them in to soapy water to die. Still took a lot of damage in the process. Tough bugs to control without poison. We did end up spraying the tree to save it one year. Sometimes you just have to do it if you want it to make it through.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Spray with Sevin, it will kill the betles immediately.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Mix some dead beetles, vinegar, water and dish soap together, and blend them in a blender..........you can then spray that on the plants, and it should kill bugs, and keep them away.........it works for Rose Chafers, so I assume it will work for Japanese Beetles also...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read online that red cedar is a natural repellent so i took some cedar chips and brewed a tea and sprayed the grapes. To no avail. Maybe my tea was too weak?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
By the time you get done wasting time with so called natural methods you grapes will be history. Hit them with Sevin and kill them.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
John S said:
By the time you get done wasting time with so called natural methods you grapes will be history. Hit them with Sevin and kill them.
Thats fine and dandy, and I use Sevin a lot..........But, you hardly want to be spraying them every other day with Sevin, that is where the vinegar mixture that I posted is good, use it on the bugs/plants in between spraying with Sevin...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No reason to use Sevin every other day, it leaves a residual that keeps on killing, unless it is rained off.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sevin is effective, it also readily kills honeybees that come in contact with it. It is best to use it when and where honeybees will not be attracted to what it is sprayed on.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have a small plastic pail about a 1 gallon pail and I put about 3 inches of water in it. I do patrol the yard several times a day. I brush or shake them into the pail. When they hit the water they do not fly until they dry off.
But I have 7 call ducks that I feed the beetles to. They think they taste like ice cream.
I don't use sevin because my grapes are too close to the garden and I don't want to harm the honey bees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts