The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had 2 redfox shoot with high powered rifles this week at 2 differant farms about half a mile appart called the PGC this morning to report it and the disbatcher asked me what i wanted him to do the WCO does not work on Sundays i do not want to pull the set's cause the produce a lot of fur so my ? is what can i do i recover a bullette from the hill behind the set could the PGC find the gun that fired it or wouldn't they wast there time trying to find them

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Obviously this is being done by jacklighting paochers. (Deer are few and far between as it is) That's the best you could do is alert the game commission. At least they are aware of illegal activity now. That would make me a little nervous confronting people like that late at night. I've had that happen to me about 8 or 9 years ago but it was during deer season, which is the reason I pull all of my traps during the rifle season now. Sorry to hear that you had 2 high dollar fox ruined.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm mader then can be exsplained both farms are posted 1 is on a deadend road the other you have to drive up a gaswell road to see my set i do not understand why pepole feel the need to mess with other pepole's stuff i'm guessing they where going to take both fox until the seen how bad both where blowen apart as both fox where removed from the traps and left laying with in 20yards of the trap i should be glad they didn't take my traps

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I doubt the WCO would do much investigating.

How do you know it is a high powered rifle? Did you find a casing or are you judging by the damage to the foxes?

Are your sets visible from the road? You may just have to make the sets in a place where they can't be seen from the road.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they can not be seen from the road i'm judging on fur damage i'm takeing the metal detector with me in the morning to see if i can recover a caseing or fired bullette from the hill behind the trap

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Most likely they found your sets when there was snow on the ground by your tracks. Now they are checking your traps and shooting your stuff.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know for a fact the 1 from today they didn't find in the snow cause you need to drive up a gaswell road 100 yards and my tire tracks where the only one's on that road

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I guess there is no possibility that they were actually calling foxes. May have been tough to see their foot in a trap. If they were trespassing that would be a different story.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Did you ask the farmers if they heard the shots? It's pretty strange that somebody would be walking around with a high powered rifle with the deer season closed.

Maybe it's the farmer thinking he is doing you a favor.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Trail cam the sets if possible. They may take a close look at thier target. It's terrible but, something we deal with when others are jealous or just ignorant. Forget the forensics with the bullet unless you find gun and are willing to pay the bill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts