The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a used franchi 48 al last winter and havent shot it until recently. had it out and it was having problems ejecting shells. this is my first semi auto so i am curious to what the problem can be?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Did you take it apart and clean it well?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
When was it cleaned, really good, last?
What shell were you shooting?
Some light load shells don't have enough power to eject.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The franchi is recoil activated.You must have the gun shouldered firmly to cycle the shells.As the gun is fired the barrel actually pushes back to the reciever.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a Franchi AL48 and it works fine.Just make sure when shooting high brass that the bevel side is up. Lt.loads-Flat side up.Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I second the cleaning. I had one I completely stripped the action, cleaned it and it worked flawlessly. Easy to do.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
11B4PT2 said:
I have a Franchi AL48 and it works fine.Just make sure when shooting high brass that the bevel side is up. Lt.loads-Flat side up.Hope this helps
This one is right on. Flip the ring at the top of the recoil system over and it will work fine. (Take off the bbl and there will be a thin ring at the top of the magazine tube)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Had one in 28ga. Sad day when I sold it. Keep it clean and it will take care of you. I never had to mess with a ring with the 28ga, but I'd listen to the guys above if a larger gauge.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had managed to get my hands on my grandfathers. he only ever shot 3 inch mags out of his 12 ga. Said it wouldn't cycle the light rounds. I went online to http://www.shotgunworld.com and did some research. Learned about the ring settings. Now cycles the 2 3/4 inch target loads just fine.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
xcountry said:
I had managed to get my hands on my grandfathers. he only ever shot 3 inch mags out of his 12 ga. Said it wouldn't cycle the light rounds. I went online to http://www.shotgunworld.com and did some research. Learned about the ring settings. Now cycles the 2 3/4 inch target loads just fine.
Are you sure about the 3" mags? I've never seen a 48 that was had a bigger chamber than 2 3/4.

·
Registered
260 Posts
His is an old model 48 it has two different springs. I can post pictures. It is more of a turkey/goose gun 30" barrel with full choke. No vent rib but raised bead like a rifle front sight. I would like to get my hands on a newer 20 gauge for upland hunting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help everyone.. got the gun a good cleaning and figured out the rings.. shooting fine now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts