The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a backyard pond that started last summer with about 3 or 4 hundred goldfish and about 12 koi. Now that the ice has gone I counted 26 goldfish and one koi. What kind of an animal would be feeding on the fish? I let a neighbor release a perch two years ago in the pond but I don't even see that in there now.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Raccoon, Herons, opossum are likely suspects. A friend made a screen cover for his small pond, Blue herons just about cleaned his out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raccoon, Herons, opossum are likely suspects. A friend made a screen cover for his small pond, Blue herons just about cleaned his out.
Thanks. This has been happening all the last year. When we had the last ice melt a few weeks ago There were 4 koi. Now I see one. The pond is 35 x 50 and not very deep. I did put 5 used Christmas trees in for them to hide in but they are still disappearing . I put a nylon cord on the trees so I could move them No fish comes out when I pull the cord. I was wondering about mink or otter.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
My neighbor had a pond he had Koi on and he was having the same problem. His Koi were established enough they even were having young in the pond.
He started missing a few here and there then this fall they were missing almost Daily. Sometime he would find them in his driveway, dead but other wise intact.
He setup a couple trail cams around the pond and it was raccoon that were the culprit.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My neighbor had a pond he had Koi on and he was having the same problem. His Koi were established enough they even were having young in the pond.
He started missing a few here and there then this fall they were missing almost Daily. Sometime he would find them in his driveway, dead but other wise intact.
He setup a couple trail cams around the pond and it was raccoon that were the culprit.
Thanks.Once after a fresh snow in January there was a set of tracks that came to the pond and down to the ice. I have a circulating pump in the pond and the tracks went to this area that was not frozen. I just thought an animal was getting a drink. Now I am thinking it was something coming to eat the fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts