The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what arrows you guys would suggest getting. Right now I am leaning towards either the Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket, or the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter. Both are about $120 per dozen. Which arrow do you think is better/ have had good success with? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You are looking at two VERY different arrows there. The FMJs are carbon core with aluminum jacket...quite heavy for their spine. These arrows are meant for maximum penetration. The CX Maximas, on the other hand, are a lightweight carbon arrow that will probably shoot a little faster. I would decide which characteristics are most in line with what you want to accomplish with your rig...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks smithka! That helps. I didn't know too much about how these arrows were different!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have used both and both are very good but very different arrows. With the maximas, I could use one pin out to 32 yards. Because of the weight difference, I can not do that with the FMJs. I still chose the weight/penetration of the FMJs for hunting since most of my set ups are limited to 25 yards or less.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is a good program which will help you make certain you select the proper spined arrow.You can use the free trial for 3 days I think.Choose the "shaft selector" program.
pinwheelsoftware.com/

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Sorry, I let the young country club hunters use those $10 arrows.(your example of $120 per 12 arrows)

Son, you fellas can't afford to be average shots with those arrows.
I still have, accurate for hunting, some $5 aluminum arrows for the rest of the shooting year.
Of course, I don't use one of those new $1000 bows, and arrows, with vanes that run into the dollars each.

No, I'm just a plain ole hunting archer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
mus42tang said:
Sorry, I let the young country club hunters use those $10 arrows.(your example of $120 per 12 arrows)

Son, you fellas can't afford to be average shots with those arrows.
I still have, accurate for hunting, some $5 aluminum arrows for the rest of the shooting year.
Of course, I don't use one of those new $1000 bows, and arrows, with vanes that run into the dollars each.

No, I'm just a plain ole hunting archer.
Dont you know that our $1000 bows and $10 arrows make a dead deer more dead?

·
Banned
462 Posts
I guess we have some people who selectively read posts.

He did not ask about FMJ's and Maximas, which are two different arrows in terms of finished weight, rather he asked about FMJ's and Maxima HUNTERS, which are much closer in weight and two of the top arrows on the market.

I personaly hate the HIT of Axis arrows, you should use a BAR even for FP's I found that out the hard way. I have shot FMJ's several times, about a month each time, but dont like the Aluminum shell...they can bend or dent easier than folks think and without spin testing your arrows after every arrow slapping close group your simply asking for trouble. I have not tried the Maxima Hunter, although In testing regular Maximas I was not impressed with their durability or lack there of, but the Maxima Hunters are supposed to take care of that. If I were looking at CX I would check out the new Mayhem Hunters or if your looking towards FMJ weight the new Piledriver Hunters...both look sick and are supposed to be much more durable.

However if your shelling out that kind of money why not get the best arrow for that price in terms of durability and tolerances, the A/C/C Pro Hunting Series. I shoot them and personaly have not shot a better hunting arrow, and the ACC's long reputation is for being one of the best arrows out there. Give em a look like I said there durability is second to none and they have the best tolerances of any hunting arrow.

·
Registered
698 Posts
PAkilla86 said:
I guess we have some people who selectively read posts.

He did not ask about FMJ's and Maximas, which are two different arrows in terms of finished weight, rather he asked about FMJ's and Maxima HUNTERS, which are much closer in weight and two of the top arrows on the market.
PAkilla86, If you are referring to my remarks I was not selective in my reading. Just because I didnt type Hunter behind maxima, dosnt mean that I have selective reading abilities. However you must have been selective in reading your arrow charts if you feel that those two arrwos are close in weight.
350 maxima- 8.2 grains
350 maxima HUNTER- 8.9 grains
340 FMJ-11.3 grains
So, from the above example you should be able to see that they would not be close in finished weight. 2.4 grains per inch and 67.2 grains difference on a 28" arrow is not close.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Im with PaKilla, If you can afford the A/C/C's then your question for a great hunting and target arrow has been answered!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts