The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenerio. Never tried a food plot before, but would like to give it a shot. The back end of my property is basically lawn that transitions into woods. That woods goes runs the lenth of my property and I own about 50 yards in. That section of woods runs about 200 yards back to a field. The deer use that woods sparingly, as there is a large tract of woods on the other side of that field. They use it more on the back side near the field off my property, so I would like to draw them in closer and get them on/closer to my land on a more regular basis. I was thinking about putting some type of plot in the transition area between my lawn and the woods. There's also a small pond there, probably 10 yards in diameter that you would think the deer would use more but they don't. Hope I explained the lay of the land sufficiently. Any ideas as to what to plant or any other tips with those of you with experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sounds like tough competition with an actual field. I'd try something that comes in late, after the crop field is harvested. Don't know what though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
imoperial whitetail clover by whitetail institutes, this clover has single handedly keep deer numbers high on my property, looked at the field today and they are digging through 6-8 inches of snow to get at it. This is really good stuff and it lasts 3-5 years, Trust me i do not think there is a better clover out there for deer , and turkey. ]

any other questions feel free to Pm, i have roughly 4-5 acres of this planted along with other products.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Also consider a wind row or planting trees , the more cover the more comfortable the deer will feel, thus using your plot more

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
skube said:
Sounds like tough competition with an actual field. I'd try something that comes in late, after the crop field is harvested. Don't know what though.
Well that field is not planted, the deer aren't really feeding in it, just wanted to give you a picture of the lay of the land.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Is there any way to get permission to plant something on 1 or 2 acres in the field in the corner closest to your land? If you can, you can plant something to keep them around all summer then something on your land for later. Just trying to give some different ideas.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skube said:
Is there any way to get permission to plant something on 1 or 2 acres in the field in the corner closest to your land? If you can, you can plant something to keep them around all summer then something on your land for later. Just trying to give some different ideas.
Well the deer are already in that area, trying to bring them closer on a more consistent basis.

In the northeast part of the state.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Late maturing apple variety, persimmons if you are in the southern 1/3 of the state. As far as food plot, OATS plain and simple. Mix in 50/50 with wheat if your are in the northern part of the state.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Clover and maybe chicory or brassicas would be a good mix. I've used both with very good success.

Another suggestion would be to get 15 - 20 apple and pear trees from Adam's County nursery in southern Pa. If you do a search, Adam's nursery is probably one of the most noted nurseries around with a stellar reputation.

The reason I'd consider the fruit trees is they will start to bear fruit in 3-4 yrs(if you buy the feathered) and you can get varieties that will drop fruit from as early as July all the way thru Nov. Once you get the fruit trees going, you'll never have to mess around again except for the occasional pruning.

Here's their link.

http://www.acnursery.com/

One last suggestion would be a mixture of fruit and nut trees. I'd look at Chinese Chestnut that they say will bear nuts in 3-5 yrs along with Dwarf Chinkapin oaks which is a small tree(10-15') that will get tons of very sweat acorns in 3-5 yrs. You can get the Dwarf Oaks at Morse or Oikos nursery. I'd also mix in maybe a couple Red Mullberry trees from Coldstream Farms and some Mountain ash or Highbush blueberry.

Here's some links to the above mentioned nurseries which are known to have good reputations.

http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/

http://www.morsenursery.com/

http://www.oikostreecrops.com/store/home.asp

Here's an interesting table from our friends up north showing winter food preferred by deer.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7195.html

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you very much for the replies, I will check out those links. Looking at what Howard nursery has to offer, can anyone talk about whether the crabapples offered or regular apples are better or positives & negatives of each - when planting solely for attracting deer? I remember hunting in areas with a few crab apple trees and they would really draw the deer in. Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Turnip greens will grow and be eaten all season when the frost freez hits tuber in ground will turn to sugar be dug up and eaten!!!!! Persimmon trees are great to my grandsone has 1 in each corner of his plot, deer turkey just love them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts