The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won a gun on saturday, and I traded it on a Ruger no.1 in a 22 250 caliber with the varmint barrel. (I won a remington 700 SPS 243, but i'm left handed and it is a right handed bolt... and I wanted the other gun more, what can I say). What can you guys tell me about the ruger no.1 22 250? What size and type of bullet should I shoot with it? What is it capable of in terms of distance and accuracy?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Its a 1:14 twist, my guess is its going to favor 50 grain pills and under. With the added speed from the lighter bullet accuracy shouldnt be a problem, but wind drift might come into play out past 250 yards.

22-250's usually are good shooters, but I have never shot a #1 to know how they shoot.

Alot of guys put after market triggers on the #1's, not sure why but they do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon. Ya, I read something about the trigger complaints on another website. I got to shoot it a couple times today before it got dark and the trigger seemed just fine to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
tgun,i had a Ruger No.l years ago that shot great and i let a "friend" talk me out of it.it was an excellent shooter with just about anything i put in it.He's still using it and still reminds me of the mistake I made.good luck with yours,Bob

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have a 1-V in .25-06 bought about 10 years ago, and I had it accurized. Right now it shoots well but only with 90 gr. Speer bullets. I bought a Moyers trigger from Brownells and installed it myself. Very easy to do, and adjustable down to about 20 ounces.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
It should shoot very well with 55gr varmint loads. I prefer 55gr Ballistic tips. If you don't reload, there are several choices that won't break the bank, like varmint packs.

There are also factory loads with 60gr Nosler Partitions, which aren't a bad choice for deer. I have killed deer with them and the 22-250.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got to shoot it yesterday. It shoots great, so much fun to sight in. It was quite the windy day so I'm hoping that the next time I get out I can get smaller groups. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts