The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions here please guys. Got a low hit on a doe around 4 this evening. Complete pass through with a green smelly arrow. Had a good blood trail and watched the doe sulk off slowly after she ran about 30 yards. Lows tonight are predicted to be around 33. You guys think I would be better going back around 10 tonight or waiting until early tomorrow morning. Any help is appreciated, as I have never gut shot a deer before, Ive been fortunate that all archery deer have never gone farther than 75 yards.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
2nd that about waiting til morning. She will lay down somewhere and thats probably where you will find her. I'll bet she will still be a little warm inside too and with the temps in the low 30's the meat will be fine. If you go out tonite you risk jumping her and never finding her so get a good nights sleep and go get her in the morning.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I Agree with the others. No need pushing her, if she died quickly she will still be there. I've seen liver hits alive after 8 hours. If you fear coyotes, I might sit out & listen. If you hear them yipping, get there before they eat everything.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If your lucky the coyotes might leave you the back straps.

·
Registered
18,710 Posts
You could even wait till about noon before taking up the track. 12 hours is minimum.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
if she's dead tonite, she'll still be dead in the morning. if she's not dead tonite, and you jump her, you probably won't find her tomorrow.

hey, coyotes gotta' make a living too. i never worry about things i can't control. coyotes are in that catagory.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
I have never hit one in the intestines before either and never left one over night.

However,I would start out at first light before the temps. start to rise. I would field dress it as quickly and cleanly as possible. I would take cheese cloth, bottled water to rinse and if you have a weak stomach and sensitive nose maybe a face mask. Observed a hunter lose his lunch once performing the gut shot field dressing act.

If the coyotes get there first there is little you can do.

Good luck, glad to hear you are concerned and following up. Wish you the best possible luck.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Never hurt ya to eat breakfast. Couple eggs some bacon big pile of home fries. Gut shot never bothered me to any extent. Did a few of them when no one else would. But as for the deer overnite no sense in pushing it. Had 1 like that at camp guy it a buck. Found a bed blood was in the middle. I could smell guts. Couple guys told me I was crazy. Told them to wait they kept pushing. Lost it at dark went back in the morning found it 50 yds from where they last saw it. Shot thru the belly. Give her time to lay down.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Definitely wait til AM youll find her for sure. You push her maybe not. Take orange marking tape to mark blood. You can get an idea on which line shes traveling. Also look for crows in the morning theyll gather around the deer after its dead. I ve hit a few late in the day most of which if I didnt push em I got em ... good luck

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going back first thing in the am.m

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got in guys........looked from 7 until almost 2. Had a good blood trail for about 75 yards and then it just vanished. After continuing in the direction that the blood trail went for a while with nothing, I started a meticulous grid type search of the large cedar bedding area that she headed into (approximately 40 acres) and came up empty. As a last hail Mary, I checked the surrounding woods for another hour and a half in case she somehow doubled back, but again nothing. I am just completely deflated at this point. Think I'm probably going to hang up the bow for this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts