The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Fellas, First off thanks for all your help on my last post. I have really been enjoying shooting my Traditions Hawkins flintlock in .50 cal.

Here is the latest issue. Was hunting day before yesterday and had a misfire. No big deal, it happens. At the end of the day I cleaned the pan, jag the hole a couple times, put clean dry powder in the pan to discharge the round. Well its a no go, good spark, good flash, no boom. Did this a couple times. Waited over night for it to dry with same result.

My thought was I got the powder in the barrel wet. I tried to use the ball remover with the ramrod. One of the prongs broke off down the barrel and won't come out. I tried to use my air compressor to blow it out. There just wasn't enough force. I had to go to work and was worried about leaving the loaded barrel, I read somewhere to put gun oil down the barrel to inactivate the blackpowder so I did that.

So NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO? I understand that the flintlock doesn't have a breech like an inline but can I unscrew the back side of the barrel that hooks into the stock? It looks like it is threaded. I have never tried to remove it because no cleaning videos have ever showed doing that.

I have looked online at the CO2 dischargers, sounds like they work but I am having trouble finding a sight that actually still sells them.

I am pretty dang sure with the gun oil, and piece of ball extractor I don't want to try and shoot it again.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
If it was me I would unscrew the touch hole and dig out any old powder and work in some new.Then fire it.
Local car garages have higher compressors.Could check there.
Remove touch hole,put in grease zert and pump away.Messy but works.

Are you sure you were using a ball remover or patch remover?

NEVER unscrew the breech plug!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I think it was a ball puller. Bought it in a kit with cleaning supplies. It had two small gage wires on the end that spiral circularly. Looked to me like it would go down and circle around the ball to pull it out. WRONG TOOL?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Man, I think it was a ball puller. Bought it in a kit with cleaning supplies. It had two small gage wires on the end that spiral circularly. Looked to me like it would go down and circle around the ball to pull it out. WRONG TOOL?
yep. ball puller has a screw that screws into the lead ball to pull it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep. ball puller has a screw that screws into the lead ball to pull it out.
With a quick Google search I found out I was NOT using a ball puller. gonna have to look around and see if I have a rod stiff enough to try and tap the ball and back it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a used TC Hawken a couple years ago, Cheap,that had been traded with "something" stuck in the barrel. I tried to fire the gun, good flash in the pan but no luck. Next I sprayed blaster down the barrel for several days, and tried compressed air-no luck. As a last resort, I put the ball puller on my ramrod(stainless), chucked the ramrod in my cordless drill and drilled it into the ball. I then clamped vice grips on end of rod and used the end of the barrel as a fulcrum as I pulled rod. It worked flawlessly, and didn't Mar the barrel. Sorry so long, but have been down this road

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
First off, what is make/model of gun to determine if it has a removeable breech plug? Traditions PA Pellet has a removeable breech plug. I believe it is the PA Pellet Accelerator. RMC Accusporter is another one. If it is one of those, You are easy peasy!

A ball puller has ramrod threads on 1 end, and some type of headless screw on the other. A trick when You get one, tap it into the ball a bit stoutly, and it will thread into the lead better. Don't be dainty with it. The ball is going to get hosed up anyway. And when pulling out, keep the ball moving once started. Start and stop can cause the threads to loosen on the lead.

Personally, I would push some pan powder into the vent, put the liner back on, and shoot in a safe direction.

Make sure You seat the ball down against the charge. If there is a gap, You could ring or bulge the barrel if some of the main charge isnt fouled.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Yes, you used the wrong tool. You used a patch worm, which is used for retrieving stuck cleaning patches.

If I were you, I'd go online to one of the muzzle loader supply houses, such as Track of the wolf, or Muzzle loader builder's supply, or Dixie gun works. Purchase a .50 caliber ball puller, the kind that has the brass bushing behind the screw. This type of puller will assure the screw will penetrate straight into the ball. Do not buy one that is just a screw, those kind can wander off center and damage the bore. Also buy a bore guide that slips over the ramrod, or range rod. A bore guide looks kind of like a small funnel. It is used to protect the crown of the muzzle from wear by the range rod. Use a T-Handle on your rod for leverage. You should be able to pull the ball fairly easily once you have the right equipment. if its tight, get an extra set of hands to hold the gun while you pull. It will be tight in some instances, but not all, but it will come out.

I would try this method before attempting to fire the ball out. Its easier and less messy.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Yeah, if you oiled that powder, there's no shooting that out.

Get a proper ball puller as mentioned above. Get a buddy.....or better yet a bench vice attached to a heavy workbench.

Clamp the rod, pull on the gun. Use slow, steadily increasing pressure. Don't jerk or try to yank. Slow, steady pressure, stacking more a little at time until it starts to move. As Rusty said, try to not stop if possible once it's moving. Shorter barrels aren't too bad for this......long rifle barrels make it more fun, lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
agree with the grease zert procedure. have done that a couple of times, my gun and a couple times for friends. is a little messy, but not really all that bad. surprisingly less grease than you would think.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Reread your original post. If you had a misfire such as you described, you can also use the vent pick to insert a few grains of 4fg into the flash hole. You don't need alot, just enough to get the flame into the bore. Sometimes, for whatever reason the pan flash just won't ignite the main charge. When you do as I described above, the gun will fire every time. Assuming you didn't get the main charge wet by not drying the barrel before loading, etc, this method works every time. And you don't need much either, just a couple grains shoved into the flash hole without blocking the hole is all you require.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Track of the Wolf makes an excellent Ball puller. Just make sure your Ramrod is crossed pinned or you might have a ball puller and a ramrod end stuck in there too!!

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
Yep, wrong tool.
For future ball pulling episodes.
Get yourself a brass Range-Rod and a good ball puller bit for it.
Install 2 x very sturdy hooks several feet up on a beam and at an angle that will permit the "T" handle of the Range-Rod to be captured in the hooks.

Now - when you need to pull a ball - attach that ball puller to the Range-Rod and screw it firmly into the stuck ball. Hook the "T" handle of the Range-Rod into the hooks and then pull downward and back on the rifle until the ball comes out.

:)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I ran into this problem once. I had a bullet puller but really didnt know how to use it. I was lucky to have a gunsmith friend nearby. He actually welded a drywall screw on the end of a metal rod then pounded it down into the stuck ball with a hammer,twisted into the ball with a vice grip and steadily pulled the ball out. The trick was don't be nice to the ball when you are trying to get the puller into it

·
Registered
728 Posts
Rmcoxyoke.com sells the Co2 discharger kit. It's under Muzzleloader Accsy > Loading Accsy. It's called B.I.D. kit. It works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Any of the co2 devices and it is done easily and safely in seconds, just be sure the barrel is pointed in a safe direction.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
You can make your own range rod out of a piece of 3/8ths steel rod from Lowes. Just drill and tap both ends for an 8 or 10-32 screw, and insert a ball puller on one end and a T handle on the other. Just make sure to use that bore guide that I mentioned earlier. I made one years ago and use it exclusively to pull balls after hunts, or to force a stuck ball home. The latter I've not had to use so far thankfully. I've never had an issue pulling a ball with this rod. Best to use a drill press and a drill vice to hold the rod while drilling the ends of the rod. Wish I'd have taken my own advice back when I made mine but I didn't have a drill press back then,.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts