The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my life I've been wanting to plan either a elk or mule deer hunt out west. Now that I've gotten settled and have the funds available I want to try and book a hunt this fall out in Colorado. I was able to go to Colorado this past October because my brother in law moved around the Glenwood Spring area. He doesn't hunt, so it would be hard to get information from him about hunting out there. I know there have been some people on the forum that have had experiences out there so I figured that this would be a good place to start.

Like I mentioned, I would love to hunt either mule deer or elk. I would prefer to do a rifle hunt that is either semi or fully guided since this is my first time going out there. I would just love to hear some of your experiences from out there and possibly some of the guides, outfitters, or anything else extra that would be a good thing to know. I'm still debating whether to fly or drive. If anyone could give me any information it would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I went on my first trip this year for mule deer and antelope and loved it. I was off sick today and spent half the day on the computer looking at options for my next trip out west.

I went to SevenJ Outfitters in eastern Wyoming. It was great. Everyone in camp filled their tags with above average to big mule deer or antelope. It wasn't a great year due to the drought, but they went dark to dark every day with everyone who had tags to fill.

Everything about the place was great. I would recommend.

I flew due to time restraints but would recommend driving if you can, especially if you want to hunt elk. They were 100% rifle elk this year, by the way. It is just much easier to take the gear you want and cheaper to get your meat and trophies home. It cost me $90 alone just to have my antlers shipped UPS.

This was a plains hunt, but they hunt elk either on ranches or in the Bighorn Mountains. You would not need a preference point for elk in the mountains for this year, nor for mule deer.

Best of luck planning your trip. I loved and can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Go to the Colorado DOW website, http://wildlife.state.co.us/Pages/Home.aspx
They have a good section on planning your hunt and a lot of information specific to elk and mule deer.
You'll first have to determine if the area around your brother-inlaws home is a draw area or can you get Over the counter tags for either or both species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts