The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if turkey tipacally stay in the same location that they are in in the fall for spring i have seen a ton this year up until my accident and im pushing real hard to get back on my feet by the time spring turkey starts in pa where i live and hunt their is no fall season so they wernt hunted but lots of deer hunters push threw the area any help is apreciated thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes and no. In the fall they are where the food is. Where the best food is. If you have great acorn and beech nuts you will see turkeys. In the spring breeding is the motivater. If you are seeing hens in your area in the late spring like march or april you will have gobblers in the area. Start going out just before sunrise or sunset starting early in April. Just go to the area you hunt and listen. If you're there 4 or 5 days at sun up you'll find out if you have gobblers near you.

·
Registered
895 Posts
DoubleGobble said:
Yes and no. In the fall they are where the food is. Where the best food is. If you have great acorn and beech nuts you will see turkeys. In the spring breeding is the motivater. If you are seeing hens in your area in the late spring like march or april you will have gobblers in the area. Start going out just before sunrise or sunset starting early in April. Just go to the area you hunt and listen. If you're there 4 or 5 days at sun up you'll find out if you have gobblers near you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys if they arent their what type of area would be most productive to look for since this is my first year doing turkey and i probably wont have much time to get out do to my leg but i will try my best to scout just not sure how much walking i can do should i look for feilds or tree canopys with little ground cover thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
13,499 Posts
If you don't have a lot of time to scout don't waste it, rather use it wisely by going to high points and listening at daylight and just before dark. You can cover much more area productively and will heard a lot more gobbling by listing from good vantage points vs. walking and looking for sign, food etc.

Locating the gobblers before you hunt is a great asset. If you spend time scouting and locating gobblers you just may not need a lot of hunting days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts