The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,

I have been recently been named grant coordinator for a $35,000 invasive species control grant (expires 2/8/2011) to be implemented In Lycoming / Union counties on State Game Lands (SGL) 252 and surrounding PA Game Commission (PGC) Co-op Lands as part of an American woodcock / golden-winged warbler habitat project. This grant is the product of a Cooperative Weed Management Area formed to reclaim moist thickets from non-native invaders like Ailanthus, bush honeysuckle, and autumn olive. Additionally, CWMAs serve as an early detection network for invasive vegetation not yet known to exist in the area.

We are going to be targeting Ailanthus (Ailanthus altissima) as part of this grant and I am in need of volunteers for in-kind match. Our goal is $11,700 (roughly 530 man hours) worth of volunteer services. I will be meeting with professors from the Pennsylvania College of Technology tomorrow to seek further assistance from students for our volunteer efforts. Methods of treatment will include herbicide application; foliar and / or hack-and-squirt. Volunteer training will be made available by certified personnel. Work days will be determined when we get an idea of the size of the volunteer force. The treatments will need to be completed by October 15 at the latest for them to be effective.

The key to this grant is the 1:1 match. In addition to helping us perform valuable and much needed invasive vegetation treatments, each volunteer hour earns the PGC approximately $20 that we will use to purchase equipment such as a high volume foliar sprayer that will allow us to better control invasives and maintain the early successional habitat work that we are currently conducting on SGL 252 and other Game Lands.

I realize that this is late notice but the previous coordinator resigned without conducting any activity on the grant. Needless to say, we are pressing hard to meet the grant requirements for in-kind match so that this project will succeed.

Please forward this anyone who may be able to help out.

Thank you all very much for your consideration and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Eric Miller

Public Lands Habitat Section Chief

Pennsylvania Game Commission

2001 Elmerton Ave.

Harrisburg, PA 17110

717-787-4250 x 3612

[email protected]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts