The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The effort to legalize Leashed Tracking Dogs for recovering wounded deer in PA has been ongoing for 17 years and right now Pennsylvania is the closest it have ever been and almost there. The PA Game Commission, PFSC, USP, UBP, QDMA ,NRA and 97% of PA hunters as of the last survey taken support the legalization of Leashed Tracking Dogs. HB1722 which will legalize the use of Leashed Tracking Dogs has passed the House and is awaiting a final vote on the Senate floor.
The problem is that HB1722 has been languishing on the Senate Calendar for the last month and has not been brought up for the final vote. There are 2 weeks left in Harrisburg before the Senate goes on Summer Recess. If HB1722 doesn’t come up for vote by the end of June, PA hunters will be going another hunting season this fall without access to Leashed Tracking Dogs.
The Leashed Tracking Dog movement needs every hunter’s help right now. There is no time to waste. To help make this finally happen, here is what you need to do.
Send an email or letter to Senator Jake Corman right away. Your correspondence does not need to be complicated. Just tell him you support HB1722, the Leashed Tracking Dog bill, and ask him to bring it up for a final vote on the Senate floor. If you are really feeling motivated, in addition to sending an email, call his office and let his office know you would like him to bring HB1722 up for vote. Senator Corman is the Leader in the Senate and he is in charge of deciding which bills get a chance to be voted on. Here is the contact info for Senator Corman:
Senator Jake Corman
Senate Box 203034
Harrisburg, PA 17120-3034
Room: 350 Main Capitol
(717) 787-1377

Email Senator Corman

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up on the email response. I should have checked to see if he uses his .gov email before posting. Good catch!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I have no problem with this and support it fully. I just don't understand why it takes an act of congress for the PGC to allow us to use a dog for hunting. We already are allowed to hunt other game with dogs and have regulations of the extent these dogs can be used or trained on each game species allowed. So what is the big deal to say dogs can be used for deer hunting BUT only after the shot ect ect ect and must be kept on a leash not to exceed X feet. Waugh!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
jimbridger said:
I have no problem with this and support it fully. I just don't understand why it takes an act of congress for the PGC to allow us to use a dog for hunting. We already are allowed to hunt other game with dogs and have regulations of the extent these dogs can be used or trained on each game species allowed. So what is the big deal to say dogs can be used for deer hunting BUT only after the shot ect ect ect and must be kept on a leash not to exceed X feet. Waugh!
I don't get it either. I always thought the law was based on unleased dogs? I can't imagine much of an edge is gained by hunting deer with a leashed dog...or running rabbits with a dog having no legs being taken for a ride in a wheel barrow.

The effort to legalize has received my support.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Leashed tracking dogs...

Pennsylvania's Leashed Dog Tracking bill -- HB1722
A bill allowing hunters to track wounded deer using leashed dogs was passed by the Pennsylvania House but is languishing in the Senate. It must be passed before the recess, which is only two weeks away, if it is going to benefit hunters and wildlife during this fall's hunting seasons.

Write the President of the Senate, Jake Corman: http://www.senatorcorman.com/contact/
Here's my letter -- feel free to copy or adapt)

Dear Senator Corman:
I understand HB1722, the Leashed Tracking Dogs bill, is awaiting its final vote on the Senate floor. I urge you to place it before the members of the PA Senate for a vote, and to advocate for passage.

HB1722 will greatly aid hunters in recovering wounded deer, reduce the suffering of wounded deer, and protect the resource. Without it, when hunters fail to recover a wounded deer, the deer often dies anyway and the hunter may shoot a second deer. At least 97% of Pennsylvania hunters support this bill, as do wildlife conservation organizations in Pennsylvania and across the nation.

With only two weeks left before the Senate takes its recess, it is imperative that this bill be voted on so that hunters and wildlife may benefit from it in the fall 2016 deer season.

Sincerely,
Steve Sorensen
Member: Pennsylvania Outdoor Writers Association
Member: Professional Outdoor Media Association

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Leashed tracking dogs...

Thanks everyone for your help. Keep spreading the word and with enough pressure hopefully the bill will pass soon.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Andy I respect all wildlife and human life.However I have a question for you.What is your motivation to get this bill passed?I looked at every post you made on HPA.Every single post is about tracking dogs.Not deer hunting,rabbit hunting,fishing or shooting a firearm.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Re: Leashed tracking dogs...

Left a phone message and sent e-mail. The fact that such a simple, common sense bill has not found it's way to a vote (and passed) is ridiculous, but, this is Pa.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hiamovi said:
Andy I respect all wildlife and human life.However I have a question for you.What is your motivation to get this bill passed?I looked at every post you made on HPA.Every single post is about tracking dogs.Not deer hunting,rabbit hunting,fishing or shooting a firearm.
I am an archery deer hunter and a casual rifle hunter and do a little predator hunting in the late winter. I don't regularly frequent message boards much but do come here to spread the word when tracking dog legislation needs help. My main form of hunting that I enjoy the most is tracking wounded deer with my dogs. I have a bunch of friends that do the same. I can be sitting in a tree 1 1/2 hours before dark in PA and if my phone vibrates for a tracking call in MD, DE, or NJ I leave the tree and go track. I and my friends would like to be able to track closer to home and help our friends and other hunters right here in PA. The feelings I get when I find a lost deer for someone, especially a kid, are great. The relief on a hunter's face when you can tell him his deer will likely survive, The joy the dog gets doing the work and the joy I get seeing the dog's training pay off, these are some of the reasons I and others have been working on legalization for 17 years in PA. Hopefully this year it will all come together.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
This s/b a non issue for the purpose intended. I however have my doubts about how it will evolve.

Ever been to W.V.? They use dogs to hunt deer. It is really sad to see actually. I was on stand, on private property and had dogs #9 and #11 come by howling, noses to the ground and not leaving. I asked the land owner about it. His reply was, every year all the guys get together on the mountain and decide what numbers and what colors they will paint their dogs for easy recognition. Really? yup, the # and color of those numbers tell them whose dogs they are.

·
Registered
974 Posts
SRA-5C+ said:
This s/b a non issue for the purpose intended. I however have my doubts about how it will evolve.

It could get ugly.

If a hunter unleashes his dog,
and the deer is still able to run,
and the dog chases the running deer,
another hunter can legally shoot the dog.

the uglyness commences...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts