The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THERE ARE THREE OF US THAT REALLY NEED HELP GETTING STARTED WITH COYOTE HUNTING. WE LOVE TO GO OUT BUT HAVE YET TO CALL ANY IN. WE NEED SOMEONE IN EASTERN PA TO MAYBE SPEND A DAY WITH US TO HELP US LEARN THE CALLING SEQUENCE, SET UP ECT. WE ARE VERY WILLING TO LEARN AND LESSON AND WHATEVER IT TAKES TO PURSUE THE SPORT. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR CONSIDERATION. PLEASE P/M ME

·
Registered
927 Posts
You also halfto know that even guys who go out alot and have been sucsessful at calling them dont see them nearly as much as they would like you to think, If your setup with proper wind and calling correctly then you are most likley calling them in but you cannot see them. Happends to me nearly every trip. They can get very close and you wont see them. Its my biggest problem if i got every one that came in this year I would probly have 30. Makesure you setup in the best spot possible. and run your scanner constanly.

·
Registered
927 Posts
But dont give up because one day it will happen for you. they are not easy to kill.

G

·
They are IMHO extreemly tricky critters. Just when you think you have something figured out they change. Especially difficult in Eastern PA where there is more people pressure and less coyotes than western Pa. I feel it is easier to kill 15 fox in Eastern PA than one coyote.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been at it since 2005 and still have not figured it out, but just keep trying and like every one says it will happen.In Pa. every stand you have to get every thing working for you,wind,be ready to light the fire,don't make noise coming in,all that.Like I said before,they will come to a bait pile when you are not there.(eventually or not at all)First of all you have to be calling in area where there are coyotes at the moment because they move around a lot.not an easy business but if it gets in your blood can't get it out.Guys say it is easier in spring but I never hunted then.Good luck finding someone to learn you coyote calling.You ain't going to run into Les Johnson I know that.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Im almost about to switch to early morning/evening hunts because they are just so hard to see at night, its like taking somthing that is very hard and making it almost imposible lol. You got to figure out how to get them where you want and need them to be. And probably the most important lesson Iv learned this year is you have got to SCOUT a spot find the best stands and know you will only be coming there one time a month. I make the mistake of going places iv never seen in the light, calling in a coyote that I cant see then realising after I get up that there was a way better place to sit where I would have seen it, then I go back 2 more times that week and by then you wont even hear them because they catch on quick. Or I end up shooting some dumb varmit in the middle of a set and scaring the crap out of everything. These are some examples of things you dont want to learn the hard way. good luck

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have had more coyote sightings when I knew less about how to do this the "right way". Fist three years I called in 20 some coyotes. Didn't get any! These last couple years I nailed one.Only saw a couple. Read everything, watched videos, and followed most all advise, even those who talk the hunt but don't hunt! I know for my own way of rethinking, I have made it a very hard job instead of enjoying myself. That will change on the next trip out!! Mr. and Mrs. Coyote are woods smart, but they can be had ONLY IF they are in the calling area! The "IF" is the first key. Good luck and stay with it.

G

·
I think I understand what justshoot is saying and it makes sense. I too have read everything I could find including books, magazine articles, video posts, videos, etc. The only thing that taught me how to hunt coyotes (and I am far from talented at such and have tons more to learn) was actually hunting them. Sometimes I think I should do the opposite of what I think on a set up because so often coyotes seem to do what they do randomly without consistency. I sure cannot figure them out and have yet to meet anyone who is an "expert" on hunting the Eastern coyote. I am sure there are a few guys out there but not many. Maybe that is why they are so hard to hunt...they mix it up in how they react to things.

Last night I watched a coyote a few hundred yards away in a field mousing as my hunting partner did prey distress sounds and coyote vocals. The coyote didn't care at all. He just ignored it and calmly moused. They sure do confuse me frequently...

If anyone is an expert out there please pm me because I have a lot to learn and I am willing to listen.

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
catncarp said:
nobody wants to help, thanks anyway
Don't be so hasty, these guys have things to do: families, work, etc. There may be plenty of guys that would help you, slow it down and maybe someone would step up. If I wasn't so busy right now I'd take you out. Give it some time. A good attitude is everything.........

John

·
Registered
728 Posts
Catncarp
What makes you think you have a huntable number of coyotes in your area? If you only have a few it can be real hard.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
catncarp said:
THERE ARE THREE OF US THAT REALLY NEED HELP GETTING STARTED WITH COYOTE HUNTING. WE LOVE TO GO OUT BUT HAVE YET TO CALL ANY IN. WE NEED SOMEONE IN EASTERN PA TO MAYBE SPEND A DAY WITH US TO HELP US LEARN THE CALLING SEQUENCE, SET UP ECT. WE ARE VERY WILLING TO LEARN AND LESSON AND WHATEVER IT TAKES TO PURSUE THE SPORT. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR CONSIDERATION. PLEASE P/M ME

We are talking PA. most of the good hunters on this board has killed 10 or less in 10 years, your probably not doing much wrong, we are talking the Pa. coyote. If you plan on killing 1 everytime out you need a new sport, they come few and far between, use a lot of skunk, many say you cant full a coyotes nose, well skunk has fulled a good bit of them for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like other posters said, You need to put in the time. It will happen. Persistence pays off, but not all in one area. One thing I've learned is they'll pattern you way before you pattern them. You can go around with someone to learn what they're doing, but probably make a ton of trips in the process. What part of Eastern PA. are you in? Maybe I can recommend some areas to try.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts