The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I have just be given a great opportunity. I am working with a company to get them established in the fly fishing business. They are an outfitter for deer, game birds, and water fowel right now. They are adding fly fishing to their line up of out fitting services.

I am their right hand man in setting up for their new ventures and will be doing some guiding for them, as well as supplying their flies. The company wants to offer a few set ups to have on site for me to teach customers to fly fish. The section of water we will be fishing is a private club. The small fish in this section of water are 16" and go up to 30". The average size is 18" - 24".

I was thinking that my standard 5 weight set up would not be the best choice in this situation, but I am worried than an 8 wieght would be too much. I will be fishing the club this weekend with my 5 weight, and also taking my 8 weight along to test things out. I catch a lot of trout in the 16" to 18" range and feel a 5 weight is ideal for trout of this size. you get the most action and have to play the fish out. I don't really land a whole lot of fish above the 20" mark, unfortunately so I am not sure if the 5 weight is too light for fish this size. I do know that while fishing in Erie I had 2 chromers on that I could not even turn with my 5 weight.

My question for you all is this: Is a 6 weight the most ideal rod for this situation. Stiff enough to turn the big fish, but light enough to really teach these guys good casting techniques. How do you think a rookie fly fisherman would do battling a 24" trout on a 5 or 6 weight rod. I think starting out with an 8 weight would be tough to get the hang of things. May be that is because I started out with a 5 weight.

Any helpful insight is appreciated. Please do not bash on this thread about "Pay to play" and such. I am very excited to get a start at turning my love of teaching people to fly fish as a career, and please don't ruin that for me. Most of their potential clients have never picked up a fly rod in their life.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Actually alot of it deals with the action of the rod not the weight http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=24
my buddy fishies with a Zero weight and has caught 24" trout on it, its mainly all in how u fight the fish...if it was me i would still be taking my normally 10' 4wt rod, but for a beginner i would take a 5 wt and teach them how to fight a big fish

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I see absolutely no reason for a 6wt (or heavier) in the situation you have described, unless you are planning to frequently fish large heavy streamers.

I have fished plenty of private waters similar (if not the same one) as you mentioned primarily with a 9' mod/fast 4wt with no issues whatsoever. IN the smaller stretches and for fishing dries I would use my 7'9" 3wt, again, with no issues even on the big fish.

My opinion is that 8'6"-9"0 mod/fast action 4 or 5wt would be ideal. These rods are versatille enough to handle just about any type of fishing you intend to do and offer plenty of tippet protection when you tie into a big one.

Good luck with your future endeavours and remember to have fun!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Personally, I think a 5 wt, 9' fly rod is a pretty good all around rod for most trout fishing conditions in the east. I would go to a lighter weight rod for smaller streams/fish/or flies, and maybe to a 6 wt rod for big streamers, or perhaps if I needed to really reach far out on a large river, like the main Delaware for example.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i've ued 3wt to catch 22" wild fish. a 5wt would be fine. plus stocked fish do not fight as hard as wild fish so a 4 or 5 wt and certainly a 6wt is fine. the tippet is what finally decides how much pressure you can put on a fish.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
ive talked to you about this before bowmike.. i have a sage tx; - 000 weight that i build and i landed a 24" brownie 2 years ago on it.. had a blast.. its a fast action and anything bigger simply would of snapped the rod and my wallet lol

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
5wt should be plenty for larger trout, a 3wt can handle 16-18inch trout without an issue. havent caught anything really big but it mostly how you play the fish.

kinda like any other light tackle fishing, if you try to bring the fish to a hult either the line is gonna go or your rod is gonna go.

5wt is probably the way to go, it will be light anough to have great action with smaller flys and its still anough for bigger fish.

im no expert but if I were to have a 25 inch trout on the line I dont think id worry about having anything larger than 5wt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts