The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TC Hawkens or Firestorm? ... Just want a nice shooting Flinter for late season hunting.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going with TC ... Not sure if I should settle on the Hawkens or Firestorm .... Just for Deer Hunting.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
The one thing I don’t like with the Fire Storm is the single trigger. It does not have a set trigger like the Hawken.

I am use to a set trigger and it seems like forever before the Fire Storm hammer falls. Something to think about. FT

·
Banned
900 Posts
Being a lefty I cannot say which I would buy because we are left out of TC's line of weapons BUT I got friends with both and they love them both. I (if I were a righty) would choose the hawkens for the look and feel. The firestorm reminds me of cheap wal mart guns. You can't go wrong with TC though!!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
TC flint and great shooting are mutually exclusive.

The perc., is first rate, their flintlocks have been improved but still aren't what an L&R's or custom gun lock's performance would be. Lots of folks love their brand name guns. I venture to guess that they have never experienced the joy of a properly made flint lock. Far faster and far more surefire with substantially fewer problems.

·
Premium Member
24,271 Posts
Owned a TC Firestorm for several years. They come with a 1-48 twist barrel as does the TC Hawkens. I wouldnt get either. First...not the best twist for a roundball (too fast) plus not optimum for best stabilization of conicals(too slow). I found the 1-48 TC bbl very mediocre as far as accuracy.

Personally, for the same money you could buy a Lyman Great Plans Rifle 32"(1-60 twist bbl) great for roundballs & have option of buying a Lyman xtra drp-in bbl (1-32) good for conicals & sabots. Likely could get for the price of a TC Hawkens & be like having 2 guns handling a much greater variety of bullets.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get a Firestorm for $350 BB ... The Lyman is more then I want to spend

However now after reading your post ... I am questioning the Firestorm for Hunting ... I want a Good Deer Hunter ... Want to use it for all the late season and Rifle.

·
Premium Member
24,271 Posts
The Lyman GPR will run about $100 more. A second bbl about $140.

The TC Firestorm is a solid gun. Just wish they would still have the ole 1-66 twist bbl they used to put on their Pa Hunter Flintlock which is no longer made. plus with the Firestorms removable breech plug design there arent any after market bbls to fit its stock so your stuck with a 1-48 bbl.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have been shooting the Firestorm since T/C first introduced it. I love it. The only problem I had is I tried extending the orignal flint life too far and just had to flip it. Everytime I pull the trigger it goes boom, weather not something falls is another story but it goes boom. It is not the gun's problem either, just shooter error. I shoot it very well from the bench and in the woods not so well.

·
Premium Member
24,271 Posts
Amen mossie!! I went through several guns until i arrived at tht conclusion!! It was fun though!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess being new and all I will have to live and learn also ... I have a Traditions (I know it's not a Lyman or TC) PA Longrifle 1:66 ... But can not get it to shoot like this Firestorm right out the box ... Pyro 50/50, 295 Powerbelts and FFFFg in the pan ... Thanks for the tips Loggy ... I went with the load you recommended ... No Flash in the PANs ... But did have a few Flint Misfires ... Adjusted the flint and went much better ... Two hart shots, 1 lung, nice 3 shot group and a lucky shot all at 75yrds
... It was also a very soggy day at the range

·
Premium Member
24,271 Posts
Great first range report out of the box there Nikdob!!

Glad that load worked out for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts