The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is 9" wide and about 4.5" tall in the center. My wife thought it was an old seat cushion. She searched the web and couldn't find a match, any help?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Wow! I believe the latin name is gigantica gigantious.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Looks like a old dried up Puff Ball mushroom I bet if you kicked it a lot of spores that looks like dust will fly everywhere, certainly not a expert but that is what I think it is.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I would say purple spore puff ball, but maybe a giant puff now that I think about it. It's old I can say that. It did sprout recently. Could be a giant puff ball just in a very unusual shape. Do a cross cut and see if it has gills.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Looks like a Chestnut bolete (Gyroporus castaneus) that was exposed to direct sunlight...usually a much lighter (chestnut tan) color in shaded areas....just a guess however since it's tough to ID mushrooms from photos.

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Looks like an extra large old puff ball. I have seen them the size soccer balls. I once saw one from a distance and thought it might be a skill.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John S said:
Wow! I believe the latin name is gigantica gigantious.
I was going to cut it into filets and use your short rib recipe on it. I'll either be extremely satisfied or extremely dead in the morning.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
It's a puffball, and oddly shaped at that. They generally don't take on a "pancake" appearance, but more of a "ball" type appearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts