The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a google search and found several photos looking like what I found. I am surprized that I found this next to my barn in my pasture in Plum Boro. Thanks all who helped

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Bears have been known to attack cattle and horses but very rarely..Probably just passing through..Make sure your electric fences are energized which will scare them off quicker then anything

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never use electric fences. I only raise horses so, electric fences are not necessary. I figures it was passing thru because shortly after one was spotted in Cranberry outside a restaurant in a tree. This is approx. 25 miles from where I live so, I guess he went out for dinner somewhere else that didnt sell horse meat.....

·
Super Moderator
14,520 Posts
Bears really aren’t interested in horses or cows but they certainly will go after horse of cow feeds. That is usually the reason they come around sheds and barns where large animals and their foods are being stored. If the large animals and their food are being stored close to each other the bear will sometimes swat at the animal just to move it away from the food supply. In many other cases, especially with horses, the large animal freaks out just from the presence of a bear and beats its self up on the fence or any other obstacles it encounters while trying to get away.

I suggest not storing the animal feeds in the same building as your livestock when and where that is possible.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand it wasnt in the woods.......the Pope doesnt stay in the Vatacian all the time either.......

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Not horse or any animal that is a herbavore. No sticks and grass in the poop. Trust me, I get lots of poop at work every day and I know carniverous poop when I see it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry da deer I raise horses. been around them all my life and trust me no horse drops a tubular turd like these were. horse turds are about the size of a walnut usually. sometimes as big as a baseball. ok ok before you say it yes i know my sh++...........

·
Registered
23,925 Posts
Hunters should wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them," a PGC spokesman said.

"We also advise hunters to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear".

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Pennsylvania hunters should know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear paw prints and scat.

A grizzly's paw is larger and its claws are longer than that of a black bear.

Black bear scat contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray

did ya sniff it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whitetail deer droppings....the fields on the farm I hunt are loaded with similar droppings. Suspect that it has to do with diet and if one looks closely the pellets are visible. Google "pictures whitetail deer droppings" to confirm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts