The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry i dont have a pic right now but on my property i have this shrub/plant that has berries that look identical to elderberries but its not an elderberry bush. The berries dont have the umbrella clusters and the stem of the whole plant is maroon in color and medium size oval leaves. The berry clusters grow right off the plant if that makes sense but they look just like elderberries same size and color. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no not even close to give a better description from a distance it almost looks like a wineberry shrub without the thorns

·
Registered
428 Posts
without pics its gonna be tough but from what you posted try autumn olive and see if that is close to what you say. Is it in the woods or in a field or edge of a field.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will try to post pic later. Its not pokeberry and it grows in the woods but the berries are the same size as elder berries. Dont worry i dont eat anything unless im 110% sure of what it is.

·
Registered
36,658 Posts
Sqrlhntr said:
What part of the pokeberry is poisonous? I know down south that they eat in as salad.
The whole plant is poisonous including the berries, except in the spring when the shoots are coming up. When they're about 6 or 7 inches tall and the leaves are still tightly folded and there is no purple color to the stem they're safe to eat.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts