The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 17 years old and i have a bobcat problem. It first started out as my dad thinking he seen one cross our road. He wasnt sure it was one because around here growing up he seen one and he was a trapper. Then in my tree stand my my little cousin and his pap the last day of doe season seen a bobcat. So i went out and bought a bobcat permit thinking maybe ill have fun hunting them later, but this week while i was our riding my trails around my house checking for deer i found a dead deer
. So i went and got my game camera and put it out and found out that i have two bobcats coming to eat this deer which is less than 250 yds from my house and about 40 yds in the woods from my grandmas house. My grandma has two little dogs and i wouldn't want anything to happen to them so i would just fill my bobcat tag now since i already have my fur-takers license. Any help would be great and ill post the picture i have of them later

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
A #3 or #4 Duke would probably give you the most bang for your buck. 3 or 4 sets should be enough if you have them coming to a known location.

Get yourself some meat for bait. Deer, beaver, or muskrat works well. Order yourself some bobcat gland lure and urine. Red fox urine is good too. Beaver castor and skunky call lures are cat attractors.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Go on trapperman.com and look in the archives. Also be sure to know the PA regs about exposed bait etc. Good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
You have an excellent chance of getting one of these cats. Get a couple traps and read up on setting them. Youtube has lots of videos of guys setting traps. Can't beat a video showing you how to do it. Cats aren't too difficult to get. Set near, but not on top of that carcass. It's against the law. Keep checking them, make sure they don't freeze up, and don't worry about your scent too much w/ cats. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Keep it simple. Don't complicate things trying to make exposed pan sets or using flagging. You don't need none of that crap because you have the cats pinpointed and actively feeding.

Just be sure not to use moist dirt to cover the trap. Go with sifted peat moss and blended with natural debris. The first mistake beginning cat trappers make is bedding in dirt and end up with frozen in traps.

Make a fist sized dirthole, put a adequate sized trap in front of it, bait and lure the hole, and KEEP THE TRAP FROM FREEZING.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts