The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father-in-law has offered to let me use one of his flintlocks for hunting if I want to try it (he owns 3 flints, but doesn't hunt with them). He showed me one this evening - he thinks it is the one he built - but I do not know what model it is to look up further information on it. Could someone please help me....
The barrel is marked with Thompson Center Arms, 54 cal. - but there is no further information to let me know the model. I looked on the TCArms site and could not locate a flintlock in 54 cal such as this. It has no brass on the stalk like the Hawkens .... does anyone know what model of T/C flintlock was made in 54 cal, possibly in a kit form, I am guessing 15-20 years ago ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chances are it is a Renegade. Does it have a 26" (27" with breach plug) octaganel barrel? About 10 years ago I bought a .54 Renegade Flinter (New) from Fox Ridge outfitters, home of (At that time) The T/C Custom Shop. They offered complete .54, Renegades, and Hawkens, in both percussion, and flintlock. They also offered replacemewnt barrels for both. I still have the Renegade.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I inherited my dad's .54 renegade, it shoots nice!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
These are all .50's but should look like one of these.....

Hawken
Renegade
Pa Hunter Carbine bottom two

·
Registered
618 Posts
That brings back some memories... My brother got a Hawken and I got a Renegade for Christmas, about 1981 or so. We worked our butts off to build them and make them as nice as we could. Didn't hurt that dad was a toolmaker. We still hunt with them and quite a few deer fell to them, lots of great memories. T/C makes some nice stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone -- from the pictures provided, it seems it is probably a Renegade. The serial does not contain the "K" prefix, so this may not be the kit he built. We have not pulled out his other rifle to see if it has a K. I plan to take the gun to a local shop to have it checked out and get their opinion on the model... Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
iam not far from you if you need any help or would like me help you check the gun out and show you how everything works i will and you can shoot it right here at my place

1 - 14 of 14 Posts