The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need some help finding someone that can make a Bowie blank or has them in stock. I would like to find a Damascus or forged carbon blade. Ideally, I would like to find someone in PA and keep the business local.

I got a bug up my rear this year because I couldn't find a holster for my repro Schofield. I ended up buying some leather, WAY to much of it. The holster turned into a cartridge belt rig now I think it needs a nice Bowie knife to finish it off. I only need the blade as I have plenty of wood sitting around for scales, and frankly I would rather make what I want and save a few bucks. I've seen the "Damascus" blades online and unless someone has some slaves the gov doesn't know about they aint' real. Top it off with people dubbing a 6" blade as a Bowie, I'm starting to think I need to find someone I can talk to and explain what I want.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Get ahold of Gary Root. He lives in Erie and makes some great blades.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I looked at ADS and didn't like the short blades they had. No offence to them, if I'm going to spend that kind of money(which it's worth it IMO) I want what I want. Yeah, I'm a pain to deal with.

Never heard of Gary, I'll ask some of the knife fanatics at work about him.

I did order a couple blanks and just got them today. One came from eBay and the other from USA Knife Maker. I'm happy with the patterns, just not the layout. I've come to the conclusion that I just need to buy some billets from ADS and grind my own. I'd just need a way to cut, sander, buffer... Oh god I'm doing it again.

·
Registered
388 Posts
just make yer own.
30 years ago I decided I couldn't find a good skinning knife..... hahahahahahahaa
now I'm a fulltme maker.....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
Guys, I need some help finding someone that can make a Bowie blank or has them in stock. I would like to find a Damascus or forged carbon blade. Ideally, I would like to find someone in PA and keep the business local.

I got a bug up my rear this year because I couldn't find a holster for my repro Schofield. I ended up buying some leather, WAY to much of it. The holster turned into a cartridge belt rig now I think it needs a nice Bowie knife to finish it off. I only need the blade as I have plenty of wood sitting around for scales, and frankly I would rather make what I want and save a few bucks. I've seen the "Damascus" blades online and unless someone has some slaves the gov doesn't know about they aint' real. Top it off with people dubbing a 6" blade as a Bowie, I'm starting to think I need to find someone I can talk to and explain what I want.
I have one here you can have, if you are down this way. 9" blade, 14 1/2" oa length, 1/4" thick. the shape is there, it just needs finished.

update; i'll look, I might have 2.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Can't find what you want? Send me a sketch of your idea of shape hope to be forging shortly looks like it will cool down in week or so. Good fall project. Thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm working with what I got now. Unfortunately, money just got tight. Kinda thankful that I didn't go buy some expensive piece of metal. Anyway, I have been bouncing between the "now that's a knife", the coffin handle and a set of steak knives for a friend(dang wedding present). I'm doing my best not to long too much for the Grizzly belt sander/buffer that I found on their site.

The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem... And I have a problem.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Collecting can become addictive . It would be great for all the knife smiths here to get together sometime and maybe sell some of your work to some of us HPAers ....

·
Registered
550 Posts
trapjaw, contact J. Neilson from Towanda,Pa. Mountain Hollow Knifes. He is a Master Blade Smith and is one of the judges on the program Fire & Ice.There is only about 120 Master Blade Smiths in the world and J. is one of them. Go to his web site

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, it's been a while. Why is it now that we're adults the summer flies by so fast. I've got to start bringing wood in.

Anyway, I've been working with the material that I have plugging away. Below are some pics of what I've been working on. The holster came first, then I thought it might be cool to have a cartridge belt for it. Now I have one fully done Bowie and I'm going to start working on the sheath for the second one as time permits. The bigger, "now that's a knife" as I'm calling it, was a cheap blank that I got from USA Knife Maker. Aside from that all the materials I had laying around, brass, oak and pin material. So I just played with that one to see what it would turn out like. The coffin handle blade I spent a few bucks on the blank and pins, so I've been taking my time getting that right(BTW if the pins look off center they are, not my fault came that way). The wood I got lucky and had some tiger maple laying around. Everything is kind of a work in progress. I keep finding things that I want to tweak on everything. Maybe some day I'll be done and satisfied with my work... Nah! Now I have a bug to get a birdshead Colt repro and make a cross draw holster.

All I need now is a cowboy hat and a handlebar mustache and I'll look like Wyatt Earp on opening day of deer. BTW, I already have a Sharps and the duster. YEEHAW!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts