The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be in the market for a scope for my Winchester 70 .308. I really want to keep the cost under $250. I would prefer the scope to be in the 4-12 x 40 range. Right now the three that I have in mind is a Bushnell Elite 3200, Nikon Prostaff, or a Redfield. Anyone have experienc with these? Right now I am leaning towards the Redfield.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Nice choices, look thru each one and pick whatever seems clearest to you. I was set on a Redfield til I looked thru a Nikon. I also got a 3200 and am impressed with it too.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
They all make good scopes, I always suggest buying good glass. Your $400 - $600 is worthless if the scope on top does not work.

One brand I do not see listed is Leupold - I own more Leupolds than any other make. They are usually worth every penny they cost.

Redfield is made by Leupold, so I would lean that way also if you are set on the brands you list.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
you can't go wrong with a leupold or nikon. You will pay more for the leupold, but some people never buy any other brand. I prefer Nikon, but only because of the low price coupled with, in my opinion, comparable clarity/quality to the leupy.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The first question to me would be what is that 308 going to be used for? Deer in the mountains? Long range target? Bean field shooting? etc. If it's simply a deer rifle and you're not shooting across Ag. fields then I'd go with a 2x7 Leupold or something similar. The scopes you mentioned are good but a 4x12 will be bulkier on top of the 70 and may be more then you need. Just a thought.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its going to be more or a bean field set up. I have a couple rifles set up for the mountains, so I want this one to be for longer ranges.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Have had good luck with nikon buckmaster series scopes, which I know is a little more then you wanted to spend. Looks like they are going for 299 for the 4.5-14.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I like the bushnell elites, I've got 3 of them in 3-9 40mm. The rainguard coating is really nice in the rain, snow or fog.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
you can't go wrong with a leupold or nikon. You will pay more for the leupold, but some people never buy any other brand. I prefer Nikon, but only because of the low price coupled with, in my opinion, comparable clarity/quality to the leupy.
x2 I think the Nikon glass is on par with Leupold and at a better price.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Save a little more and buy a Leupold. Even the VX-II is better than anything you have listed....IMO of course. I own seven VX-II and two VX-III and love them all. Never a single issue with any of them.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
elite 3200 is nice. i have a few of them as well as the nikon monarch UCC. you can't go wrong with either in that price range.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9 and have no complaints. I think Nikon scopes are the best value you can buy. Lifetime warranty also.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Leupold Vari X II 3 x 9. Better scope and not alot more money. I own all Leupolds with two exceptions,a Nikon and a Zeiss. Of your three choices I would pick the Redfield because it is made by Leupold.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I am a die-hard Leupold fan...But the deal of the year is on the Bushnell 3200 scopes which have been on closeout.I got two for around $130 or so each, and wish I had bought more...Never been a fan of the junky Bushnell banners or Sportviews, but the 3200 is something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts