The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a 338 marlin express but after reading about poor quality control since remington takeover I decided against it. My next choice was going to be a Tikka 25-06 but after reading the Made in USA post in the field gear forum I have decided against this. So my question is what American made 25-06 do I buy? The rifle will be used just for deer. I am looking at lower cost options like Savage or T/C venture. Some help please.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
the two good low cost 25-06s are the savage 110 line-up and the Remington 700 SP. IMO the Remington is a little lower priced, but a better rifle with lots of after-market stuff.

Also, Savage has a new line of very low cost rifles Steven 200, etc. I have bought a couple of these for kids in the family, all 243, they were not well finished, but shoot very decently. If they come with a scope package. Throw away the scope and mount immediately.

For quality and value for the $$ you can't beat the 700 SP. Check Grice's flyer.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Get a Ruger.....they shoot good, and they are built like a tank....

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I have yet to be convinced that there is poor quality control since Remington took over Marlin. Remington does know a little something about gunmaking, it's not like GE took over Marlin.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Don't know if you want new or used, but this guy had a Savage 25-06 w/scope last week for $250. 570-655-9121

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know if the quality of remingtons has gone down but go to marlinowners forum and read about marlins. They call it barrel droop. People claim you cant even bore sight when a scope is mounted. Dont know if its true just looking to avoid trouble.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
First off there is a big difference between the two cartriges you mention. Also different action types.

I would evaluate what you want and need then just buy what you want. I agree with moose. Remington has been making guns for a very very long time.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Blitzkrieg said:
I dont know if the quality of remingtons has gone down but go to marlinowners forum and read about marlins. They call it barrel droop. People claim you cant even bore sight when a scope is mounted. Dont know if its true just looking to avoid trouble.

The guys on marlinowners acted like the world had come to an end when Remington moved Marlin out of CT. Before that any issue they had with a new Marlin (and there were plenty) was just mentioned and sent back to Marlin usually with the results posted a couple weeks later. Now any new Marlin that has a problem is immediately posted and berated as Remington quality control problems. There always were some problem Marlins though same as with any company. Plus the guys over there are paranoid that Remington somehow views the Marlin X7 as competition for the 700 and 770 and they feel Remington will phase them out or price them out. Bottom line is that the Marlin X7 is making Remington an awful lot of money and they aren't going to kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
marlin is a major name that people have used there guns for a long time. I dont see rem nocking the marlins down to sell more rems. There will still be people who buy marlins so thats just more money for rem. I have not heard of any probs with the new marlins im looking to pick up X7. The are a very nice looking and feeling gun for the money. talked to a few people that have then and there great shooters. as far as the marlin cals i would becareful if you dont reload they will be in the same boat as the short mags are limtied over priced ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts