The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about $500 to spend at Cabelas and would like to get a handgun for hunting. My issue is I know virtually nothing about handguns so I’m turning to my fellow hunters for answers.

Here’s what you need to know;
1. $500 is the limit but can be a used gun
2. The single-shot T/C is out
3. For deer hunting but may like to get a CWP
4. Must be able to mount a scope
5. Don’t want a pistol that I’m afraid to enjoyable shoot

What I need to know;
1. Best barrow length
2. Best caliber
3. Recommendation on manufactures (good & bad)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Get a Ruger GP 357 with 6" barrel
and put a 3x or 4x scope on it
will easily do 4" groups at 50yds
and they feel good in your hands
can practice with 38's and hunt with 357's
want to shoot mine - come visit

·
Registered
424 Posts
If single shot is out... then that leaves a revolver for hunting.
I would check out their site & also google a caliber of revolver to get an idea
of prices of various makes available. Colt, S&W wheel guns are going to cost
more than $500 new, but sometimes you can find a deal on a used one.

If you can find an old Dan Wesson, you can probably get it for around that
price. They are usually very accurate. Rugers are good too. Never been a fan
of Taurus myself, so I'd say avoid those.

As far as caliber, .44 Mag would be best, you can shoot .44 Spec for lower
power practice. .357, I'd say would be minimum & you can practice with
.38 spec. As far as length for hunting, I'd say 6" minimum & 8" is best...
which pretty much rules it out as a "carry gun" particularly with a scope.

As far as a scope, I'd strongly consider a red dot site. Your not going to take long shots with a pistol, so magnification isn't very useful. A red dot
like a "Burris fast fire" is smaller & quicker.

Obviously, these are MY opinions, but hopefully they help.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
With your criteria my vote would be a Ruger single action super blackhawk in 44 mag. 44 specials are easy to shoot for practice. I would get at least a 6 inch barrel, longer would be better. Of course the ideal would be as stated above , to save up some more money for a more capable dedicated deer handgun. Depends on how serious you want to get into it, and what shots you're willing to take or turn down.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
dude, that thing is just silly looking LOL...the whole reason to hunt with a pistol is to have a lightweight both hands free approach to hunting and yet that thing has a 1 lb bipod, a half pound muzzle break etc...
don't get me wrong...it's sweet...but DANG!

mark me down for a ruger GP100 in .357 mag. I've shot one and they are NICE. with .38spl in the cylinder, recoil is very light and makes for good practice.

Assuming of course whitetailed deer is your quarry of choice (to the OP)

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
DoubleLungDown said:
I have about $500 to spend at Cabelas and would like to get a handgun for hunting. My issue is I know virtually nothing about handguns so I’m turning to my fellow hunters for answers.

Here’s what you need to know;
1. $500 is the limit but can be a used gun
2. The single-shot T/C is out
3. For deer hunting but may like to get a CWP
4. Must be able to mount a scope
5. Don’t want a pistol that I’m afraid to enjoyable shoot

What I need to know;
1. Best barrow length
2. Best caliber
3. Recommendation on manufactures (good & bad)

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Seeing no one said it Yet, I'll say it!

If your new at this, Use the Correct Wordings....In Pennsylvania, We do NOT have CWPs!
We have LTCFs (License to Carry Firearms)...in Pennsylvania you can either Carry Open or Concealed with the LTCF it is All up to the person who is carrying, those CCWs or CWPs are a permit which makes it that you MUST Conceal to carry!

Read what 4cslabs said...he left 1 part out... it is a GP100 not just a GP...Very Good Handgun for hunting and protection and Price!

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Get a Ruger GP100 357 with 6" barrel
and put a 3x or 4x scope on it
will easily do 4" groups at 50yds
and they feel good in your hands
can practice with 38's and hunt with 357's
ditto and ditto

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If your looking for a pistol to carry with I would also rule out a single action. Revolvers aren't the greatest for carrying but a lot of guys do it, however my personal opinion of a single action is that you are losing valuable time on your follow up shots (if needed) because of having to cock the hammer with each shot.
Double action is typicaly less accurate on a follow up unless you have a sweet trigger system but for 500 your gonna get what you pay for.
As far as caliber, I Like 357 or 44 myself. My brother has a ruger 44 and it is a tack driver out to 50 yards.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There's a very capable caliber missing above - the 41 Rem Mag. Significantly more umph than the 357 and just a bit less pop than the 44, with better velocity. While I lean toward smaller rifles for deer (6mm), I was advised to stay away from .357's because they were a bit too small for whitetails. I'm sure there are those who'd disagree and I don't have hunting experience with the .357 so that's your call. It's true the .357 is much cheaper to shoot, especially when practicing with .38's - the 41 ammo is pretty salty unless you load them at home.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Blackhawk in 44mag is the best advice given here so far. Most affordable, strongest action. Don't worry about the second shot, the first is what matters and a single action can be fired pretty dang quick. Plus you'll hit with the second shot unlike a jerk and miss with a double action second shot.
.357 is marginal for deer, and too small for black bear. Don't bother flaming me as I own and like .357's, but a 44mag has much more energy.
41 Mags are great, good luck finding ammo, plus you don't have the advantage of 44 special loads for practice.
I had a Burris 2x scope on my Blackhawk, shot 2" groups no problem at 50yds.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
jayd4wg said:
dude, that thing is just silly looking LOL...the whole reason to hunt with a pistol is to have a lightweight both hands free approach to hunting and yet that thing has a 1 lb bipod, a half pound muzzle break etc...
don't get me wrong...it's sweet...but DANG!

mark me down for a ruger GP100 in .357 mag. I've shot one and they are NICE. with .38spl in the cylinder, recoil is very light and makes for good practice.

Assuming of course whitetailed deer is your quarry of choice (to the OP)

i fell in love....and something about a pistol that can shoot 1 1/2 - 2 inch groups at 200 yards was appealing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think you are looking at a compromise gun-there is a difference between a carry gun and a hunting handgun. I also take it that the OP don't have much experience with handguns.

With that in mind, I'd recommend getting a .22 and 1000 rounds of ammo. I started with my first handgun in 2006-it's quite a process to get a permit here in NY. I bought a Browning Buckmark and shot it 100-200 rounds a week for two months. I went from barely keeping the shots on a piece of notebook paper to rolling cans at 25-40 yards.

I then bought a Smith and Wesson .357. By using mostly .38 Specials that I loaded myself for $.10 a round, I shot that pistol 3500 times in the first year I had it-got so I could keep my shots on a paper plate at 50 yards, using full power loads.

I shot my first and so far only deer in 2008 at 42 yards. I was pleased with th performance of the .357, but will agree with previous posters that a .44 would be a better big game revolver-and if I were more serious about handgunning, I would have one. The recoil of a .44 can be quite a handful, though-don't know if it would be appropiate for a first time handgunner.

For the $500 limit, I would chooseeither a Ruger GP or Smith 686-probably a very nice used one at that price level-but only after you have developed some skill with a .22.

Sorry for the long post, and hope I did not offend any of you "natural born shots" out there. All I know is my handgun talents took a while to develop.

Will

·
Registered
384 Posts
Based on your criteria, I would also vote for the Ruger GP100 with 6" barrel. Proper ammo selection is crucial for the best hunting performance. If you plan to shoot a lot, be aware that about a year ago there was a big jump in ammo prices, but they may have come down recently. Might impact your decision. Good Luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Woodywoodduck said:
DoubleLungDown said:
Seeing no one said it Yet, I'll say it!

If your new at this, Use the Correct Wordings....In Pennsylvania, We do NOT have CWPs!
We have LTCFs (License to Carry Firearms)...in Pennsylvania you can either Carry Open or Concealed with the LTCF it is All up to the person who is carrying, those CCWs or CWPs are a permit which makes it that you MUST Conceal to carry!
Ok OMG! Sorry! Let me return the favor.

Your: Refers to something that belongs to or relates to the person who is being spoken to. What's your phone number?

You’re: Is a contraction of you are. “If you’re (you are) new at this, use the correct wording.”

We’ll work on the capitalizations in the next lesson.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone but Mr.Know-It-All. Sorry that I didn’t specify my quarry. The handgun would be for deer. Does anyone have an opinion of the Rossi Company? I did read that one of you guys was not big on the Taurus manufacture but on my beer budget, I can’t exceed my $500 limit.

I think I’m going with the 357 mag. with at least a 6” barrel. Now the only questions left are manufacture and if I want to go with a used gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts