The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished with these for smallmouth and love them. where can I buy some live hellgrammites? , I don't have time to catch my own. I need these for this weekend. I live near Pottstown and will be traveling to Bradford county.Was told somewhere in the Wyoming Valley at a bait shop? thanks for any help .

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
West Side Bait and Tackle
453 W 8th St Wyoming, PA 18644
(570) 693-0248
5am-9pm

They ALWAYS have hellgramites ("clippers" as their known to the Susky River Rats) Owners name is Louie and he's awesome.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I know they are3 great bait but at around $1 a piece I'll pass! It is illegal to sell bait caught from Pa. waters so all hellgies, stone cats, crayfish, etc. have to come in from another state. That's why redfins are illegal to sell in Pa.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
They got their nickname "Clippers" from the old timers that would catch a few and toss in their ball cap... When they needed one - they would tug one from their head - and usually yank a few strands of hair along with it. They clamp on and won't let loose..

#1 Bass Bait

Very easy to catch your bait when the Susky is low.

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
One year on Memorial Day weekend, I floated Redbank Creek from New Bethlehem down to the Allegheny. It was very easy to find hellgrammites. If you had one on and got it anywhere in the water, you had a smallmouth. Caught some nice ones too. To this day, it remains the best three days of bass fishing I've ever had.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I rounded up(not easy where I live) about 2dz with a buddy of mine one year. The next morning we headed over to the lower Susky at Wrightsville. Well smallies aren't the only thing that likes them we couldn't keep the channel cats off of them !!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
i can you still catch hellgramite now? i never used them since i dont like bait that bites back but lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts