The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,201 Posts
Must be on gamelands. I see rope holding the "stand" up, and no damage to the tree.
Looks to be pretty old too, but I wouldn't have gotten in that even if when it was new!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's on State Game Lands. I just can't imagine dragging and lifting those rocks into place. That took a lot of work!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Doesn't cost a dime, easier than dragging a stand a mile up the mountain.

·
Super Moderator
29,201 Posts
I've come across a few stands like that tied up with rope on gamelands over the years. A friend of my Dad's once found one that was held up with a grape vine. Except that one, whoever built it cut up the thick part of the vine to use as steps. Killed a 100+ year old grapevine for that stand. Dad's buddy was so mad he tore it down and left a note, probably not a very polite one either

·
Registered
362 Posts
Took a lot a guts to lift those rocks.... and by the way....
h-e-double hockey sticks was "radar" O'Riley from MASH.. not richie...lol

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
It's not a tree stand. If you take a look at the trees you can tell that they were planted on purpose and the stones were placed there when the trees were saplings. Over the years they have been forced to grow so that they are leaning away from the center. Although I can't tell from the pics, I would bet that the trees, in some places, have actually grown over some of the stones. Another thing guys, them stones were not heavy for the 450 pound Big Foot that put them there. There's a Squach in them woods so don't mess with his outhouse.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
schr8er2000 said:
h-e-double hockey sticks was "radar" O'Riley from MASH.. not richie...lol
It was from Happy Days because Richie said his mother did not like them to use the word [censored].

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's a Sasquatch tree stand. Bobo Fay has seen many stands built like that. I looks really squatchy in those woods!!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
At my age I just get tired looking at those rocks.

Reminds me of the huge "burial" stone I have in the front yard. It got dug up when we put in a water line and stayed. Two big stones guard our mail post stand.

In recent years, I always found a close in place to leave big rocks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Guys you are missing the point of this thread...It’s an alien landing site. And don’t worry they will be back.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks to be an old tree stand. There are several pieces of of rope and even a zip tie used to secure the larger branches. I don't know if the person hauled and piled up the rocks to use as a platform or what? There are some pretty big rocks in amongst those trees. I can't see how that would be stable enough to stand on, but....who knows? LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts