The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone still sell the oldtime Heavy Wool socks that keep your feet warm??? Preferably the USA made heavy ones not Chinese junk...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I hate the Wigwam anymore. I am down to the last few pairs of good 100% wool. They don't make a single sock anymore that is better than 80% wool.

I grabbed a pair of Lorpen Cold Weather Sock System a few years ago. As my old wool socks shrink to uselessness I'm converting to these. It consists of a liner sock and a heavier sock. The two together will make my feet hot if it's not too cold. Oh and they are truly over the calf, almost over the knee. Heck, if they were any longer I wouldn't need a base layer. Oh, and I do have a problem with wet feet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Try Heat Holder Socks. They are the warmest socks I ever had. Since I had a car accident & got hip bone & 4 screws in my foot, there is nothing that could keep it warm. These socks do.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I usually use the Bass pro or Cabela's lifetime wool socks (blend), veryy affordable and have only worn 1 pr out (from wearing around the house/garage with no boots.)

But the best wool (again 80%+), try the Darn Tough brand. They are not cheap but also have a lifetime warranty.

Have worn these with a silk liner for days in below zero weather (January north of Anchorage) and they're fantastic.

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-hunting

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I went to Newfoundland moose hunting I found some hand knit real wool socks at the Ferry Terminal Gift Shoppe. Made the old fashioned by hand way and they sure do keep my feet warm. I purchased two pair and they are my go to cold weather sock.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
100% wool socks would not stay up or hold their shape.
they add polyester ,spandex or lycra to make up for it.
they are the same materials liner socks are made out of

I tend to use mid or heavy weight socks of 70-80% merino wool with a thin liner sock.
they are either from REI or
i'm now trying some from "people socks"
there made in usa ,70% merlino and 4 pair for $20
I figured it cant hurt to try em

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I got alpaca extreme socks from purely alpaca this year. They are really heavy. They were passed around the group as we talked one day over lunch and everyone couldn't believe how heavy in weight they were. They are the warmest I've come across. Simms and Patagonia make a nice heavy merino sock. The alpaca socks are warmer, and cheaper. I just looked $22 a pair on sale for 4 more days.

·
Registered
25,478 Posts
Got several pairs of Merino wool socks at the outdoors show a few years ago. Outdoor writers' auction, last Sunday of the show.

Warmest socks I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Bass Pro lifetime socks are 81 percent wool and US made. Plus they replace free if they wear out.

I have two pair of these. Nice feel. Soft. Retain their shape. Rubber boots were always hard on my heel areas. These are holding up well had them 2 years now use only for hunting.
No longer have my receipt so not sure how Basspro honor thier free replacement policy.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have two pair of these. Nice feel. Soft. Retain their shape. Rubber boots were always hard on my heel areas. These are holding up well had them 2 years now use only for hunting.
No longer have my receipt so not sure how Basspro honor thier free replacement policy.
Jeff, Mine have Redhead printed across the toe. Pretty much identifies them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Try Heat Holder Socks. They are the warmest socks I ever had. Since I had a car accident & got hip bone & 4 screws in my foot, there is nothing that could keep it warm. These socks do.
When my dad died he left a bunch of brand new socks - presents he'd never worn - and Heat Holders were among them. I've become allergic to wool and always struggle to find something warm and these really do the trick. They are hold up under moisture like wool socks do. I was very happy to discover them (although I miss the wool).

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I got alpaca extreme socks from purely alpaca this year. They are really heavy. They were passed around the group as we talked one day over lunch and everyone couldn't believe how heavy in weight they were. They are the warmest I've come across. Simms and Patagonia make a nice heavy merino sock. The alpaca socks are warmer, and cheaper. I just looked $22 a pair on sale for 4 more days.
I saw this and decided to try a pair. The extreme socks are very heavy weight, a blend of alpaca, microfiber,nylon and lycra. Much heavier weight than my REI wool socks . They do run a little big in the size but I wore these over a medium weight wool and my tall rubber boots. They are very warm. Westphillyfam, these may be the ticket if wool allergy is a problem

1 - 20 of 25 Posts