The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to purchase some new hunting boots. I'm looking for some heavy duty ones that will keep you warm in the winter here in pennsylvania but i also want the boots to not burn my feet up in the warm months of the fall archery season. Any ideas? looking for some good boots that fit description

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
you cant obtain both, thats impossible. i have 3 pairs

Dream Season - Uninsulated
Rocky 600gram - Down to about 35
Cabelas 1400gram - Down to so cold you shouldnt be out

·
Registered
115 Posts
cant have both I also have 3 pair

Cabelas 400 gram rubber boots
Rocky bear claws 1000 grams
Cabelas some kind of uninsulated boots

·
Registered
14 Posts
For early season warmer weather down to the 30's with a good pair of socks on I go with a pair of Vasque Gore Tex boots. They go for about $60 at Campmor and are worth $300. I bought four pair at once after my first pair-you will be amazed.

As previously stated, you can't have one boot for all. I've owned just about every pair you could buy-those heavy insulation boots are great-until you walk in the woods more than 15 minutes and your feet sweat. Then sit all day and they will freeze. You have to change socks once you get to your stand to stay warm all day (in cold weather) Or what I do is wear light weight boots and socks to the stand and change into heavy socks and boots once I'm there. Its a pain, but you will not freeze all day.

(By the way I lived in Iceland and Norway for a year along with extended time in the arctic, alps, jungle, desert)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like my Rocky 1000gram Bear Claws for the warmth and comfort. However, I've had some major problems in the snow with traction. The soles on them don't seem to grip as well as other Rocky's I've had in the past.

·
4,256 Posts
Lacrosse Alpha Burly series you can get them uninsulated clear through 1200 grams (maybe higher) now. Warm, scent free, decent tread, comfortable, and hugs your ankle nicely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts