The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
This is probably not what you want to hear. But IMO it is the truth. The only real way to know what your particular rifle is going to do is too shoot it in your rifle. I have had a 525 grain conical that I cast from an RCBS Hotchkiss mold to stabilize in a 1in66 twist round ball barrel. Is this bullet suppose to stabilize in that barrel?? NO. Does it stabilize in that barrel?? YES. And the only way I would have known that was too shoot that heavy conical.

Bottom line is general rules are good to go by. And good to generalize about. However when it comes right down to it. All rifles are individuals just like their owners. The only way you are really going to know is to shoot it. Tom.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The Maxis did well out of my TC Hawken.I also used a felt wad to prevent blowby.The problem was due to the weight they dropped off quick compared to the RB.I also didn't like the idea of always having to carry muzzle up to prevent it from sliding off the charge.Bad also muzzle up in foul weather.Got better and tighter groups with the RB.Try all combos but I would settle for the load that I could hit what I aim at with the 1ST shot out of a clean barrel.Conical or RB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts