The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I’d never go for it, but I’m gonna give it a sip. Just picked up some fmj 340’s with 50 grain inserts.

I’ve been shooting Gold tip hunter xt 400s out of my 63# creed xs since I made the switch to compound years ago, and I’ve had zero issues with flight and tuning. I almost hate to mess with my set up.

However, I have observed only entrance holes past 28-29 yards, even towards the rear of the cage. Yes, I am Using expendables, and thats part of the reason I’d like to experiment with a heavier shaft. I plan to tune for fixed heads as well, and to keep my 400s around.

My current setup comes in at around 380 grains and I’ll be stepping up to 500 grains. 380 grain appears to be ultralight by today’s standards 🙃

Seems as if the arrow weight debate has replaced the mech vs fixed argument. Yes there is no substitute for a well placed arrow, but I’m looking forward to playing around with things.

Figured I’d spark some off season discussion.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Tuna, I shoot GT XTs 340s. 400 grain total weight with a 62 lb draw. I’ve shot theses for years from PA to Montana with absolutely no problems. I like to tinker, but there is absolutely no need to change this setup.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have shot deer with arrows weighing from 340gr to 550gr. I have gotten complete pass thrus with every setup if I did my part.

This year I am trying a new setup. GT pro hunter with 4 fletch & 70 gr FACT system behind the insert for a 15% FOC & a total weight of 461gr.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tuna, I shoot GT XTs 340s. 400 grain total weight with a 62 lb draw. I’ve shot theses for years from PA to Montana with absolutely no problems. I like to tinker, but there is absolutely no need to change this setup.
Great to hear. It really is an awesome standard setup. The gentleman I bought the bow from set
me up with over 2 dozen GT xts and pros in 400 spine. The 400 shaft puts me closer to being underspined with any thing over 100 grain head and a normal 12 grain insert.

At least one of my deer per year are taken in the 37-42 yard range. I’m very comfortable at that range, however I’ve never had a complete pass through at that distance with my current 380 grain set up with an expandable. Not surprising, I know. I really wanna stay with an expandable with the added option of a fixed head.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have shot deer with arrows weighing from 340gr to 550gr. I have gotten complete pass thrus with every setup if I did my part.

This year I am trying a new setup. GT pro hunter with 4 fletch & 70 gr FACT system behind the insert for a 15% FOC & a total weight of 461gr.
Very cool! I’m shooting GT xts and pros now with 4 fletch and I really like them. I’m not familiar with the fact system.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
All I can say about the FMJ is be very careful when pulling them from targets. I bought some 2 years ago and shot them into my deer target and they were very hard to pull out. I did get them out but bent a couple of them ever so slightly but you could see it when I laid them on my table. After that I sold them !

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I can say about the FMJ is be very careful when pulling them from targets. I bought some 2 years ago and shot them into my deer target and they were very hard to pull out. I did get them out but bent a couple of them ever so slightly but you could see it when I laid them on my table. After that I sold them !
I’ve heard you need to be careful with them! I can’t say I’m that nuts about shooting aluminum. However There doesn’t seem to be an All carbon shaft With that high a gpi.

I didn’t wanna go to a 300 spine all carbon just to get more gpi, then load a high FOC just to soften the spine back down to my bows specs if that makes sense. I guess I can look at axis or GT kinetics if I wanna go all carbon.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Archery shop I go to says they have more complaints and problems with FMJ
Arrows then all the others the sell combined. I never shot them but when I inquired about them, that’s what I was told.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I’ve heard you need to be careful with them! I can’t say I’m that nuts about shooting aluminum. However There doesn’t seem to be an All carbon shaft With that high a gpi.

I didn’t wanna go to a 300 spine all carbon just to get more gpi, then load a high FOC just to soften the spine back down to my bows specs if that makes sense. I guess I can look at axis or GT kinetics if I wanna go all carbon.

From what I'm watching and reading, you really don't want a high gpi, just a stiff enough shaft to handle the weight you place up front (FOC). The higher your gpi is, the more weight you have to add up front to get a higher percentage FOC.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
From what I'm watching and reading, you really don't want a high gpi, just a stiff enough shaft to handle the weight you place up front (FOC). The higher your gpi is, the more weight you have to add up front to get a higher percentage FOC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SiUciW6Fc&t=1s
fall gobbler you are correct about that ! That is how I found out about the FMJ's ! I bought the 5mm FMJ arrows to get my arrow weight up and then I couldn't get a very good FOC without adding 200-250 or better up front. I sold them after bending a couple of the shafts from pulling out of the target and they also didn't pattern very good out of my bow.
I bought the Easton Hexx 260 spine and cut to 27",Glory lighted nocks,75 gr brass inserts, 10 gr footer and 100 gr Rage Trypan up front. Total arrow weight of 480 gr with an FOC of around 20% and this arrow patterns great out of my bow. With this much weight up front it spines out good for my bow.
I'm shooting a Bear Kuma 30 set at 65# and 27" Draw length with an IBO of 345 fps

·
Registered
831 Posts
fall gobbler you are correct about that ! That is how I found out about the FMJ's ! I bought the 5mm FMJ arrows to get my arrow weight up and then I couldn't get a very good FOC without adding 200-250 or better up front. I sold them after bending a couple of the shafts from pulling out of the target and they also didn't pattern very good out of my bow.
I bought the Easton Hexx 260 spine and cut to 27",Glory lighted nocks,75 gr brass inserts, 10 gr footer and 100 gr Rage Trypan up front. Total arrow weight of 480 gr with an FOC of around 20% and this arrow patterns great out of my bow. With this much weight up front it spines out good for my bow.
I'm shooting a Bear Kuma 30 set at 65# and 27" Draw length with an IBO of 345 fps

Is that measured fps or just quoted from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My goal for every deer I shoot is to have 2 holes through the vitals. I shoot a heavy FMJ with a high FOC (brass insert and 100gr cut on contact). With feathers on the back they zip through deer unbelievably fast. My arrows are not fast by any means but work great.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I won't debate the fact that heavier arrows or bolts carry more kinetic energy but don't want to hear all the complaints about how slow their setup is if they ever chrony it! We used to see it all the time in the shop!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I won't debate the fact that heavier arrows or bolts carry more kinetic energy but don't want to hear all the complaints about how slow their setup is if they ever chrony it! We used to see it all the time in the shop!
True. its either heavy and slow or light and fast. I got 270-274 out of my Prime shooting 514gr. Not sure if it better than being at 290+ with a light arrow but it still kills the same.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I shoot 64 lbs hoyt turbo nitrum 475 gr FMJ and may even go a bit heavier, but this set up works great deer elk and bear

·
Registered
331 Posts
I shot the original (5mm) FMJs for years. As other have said you do have to be a bit careful pulling them out of targets, but if you pull them straight back you are fine.

I switched to the newer 6mm FMJ when it was time for a new dozen. I’ve been using them for the past 2 or 3 seasons. I like them more and they are a bit cheaper. They use a normal insert versus the HITs that the 5mm’s use. They are also a bit lighter so I switched to 125g heads.

Mathews Helim with 65lb limbs. 30” draw. I do shoot fixed blades. No idea on arrow speed, but am 100% confident on a pass through WAY further than I’d ever shoot at a whitetail. I like FMJs a lot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just put 150 gr brass in my gt 400 I shot one buck at 40yds hit in liver no penetration 63lb bow will never use a mechanical again I shoot all year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts