The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a picture in the PA Outdoor News of a Jefferson County buck that is listed as weighing 300 pounds. Just curious what everyone's heaviest "known" deer weight was? I weigh all of my deer after they're field dressed and I've cracked 200 one time. A 300 pounder must look like a cow!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Agree on the 300. Wow! 188 field dressed was my heaviest buck. Not sure about live weight. I’ve been told it would have been around 235 live based on certain formulas.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My 3 heaviest dressed bucks were 191....200....and 215lb.

It was once pretty rare around here to see bucks over 200, but in the last several years this area has produced some real tanks. I personally know of one buck that dressed 283lb ( on a certified grain scale with multiple witnesses) and another that was in the 260s. A good friend of mine killed a big 8pt that dressed 234lb.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
My little brother killed an 11 point in the 2009 archery season that dressed 206. By far the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen in person.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 3 heaviest dressed bucks were 191....200....and 215lb. I personally know of one buck that dressed 273lb ( on a certified grain scale with multiple witnesses) and another that was in the 260s. A good friend of mine killed a big 8pt that dressed 234lb.

Wow! Those are some hawgs, Fairchild. What county are they coming out of?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I think (can't remember exactly, but it's written on the door jam of my shed) my heaviest buck was 185lbs dressed. That's just from my big buck scale....I have no clue to it's accuracy but I weigh them all on the same scale so there's that. It's a little hard to read anymore accurately than 5lbs increments though.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
388 Posts
mine was 217 pounds. ohio deer, to bad rack size didn't match body weight.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Heaviest I've shot was a 165 lb 3 pt. My dad shot a 170 lb 6 pt. We've been weighing them the last handful of years now and most are in the 135-150 weight (This is live weight as we can get them home and hung quickly and do the gutting that way). We think both the 3 pt and 6 pt were 3 1/2 yrs old, we have killed any big bucks yet, most are "scrub" bucks.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I didn't get a weight on my biggest buck. Old rotten rope broke on the block and tackle so the guy put up his chain hoist which with the scale made the whole thing too long! Scale was around 170 when the hoist bottomed out but the one side of the rack and neck was still on the garage floor.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My best was 3 years ago, archery buck. He weighed 207 dressed. Live weight est is 250ish. My neighbor is a retired wco, I asked him that year what the biggest he had seen because the one I shot was the biggest I’ve ever seen. He said 361 undressed. I wouldn’t know what to do with one that big. Here’s pictures of mine, I’m 6’ 285.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
My best was 3 years ago, archery buck. He weighed 207 dressed. Live weight est is 250ish. My neighbor is a retired wco, I asked him that year what the biggest he had seen because the one I shot was the biggest I’ve ever seen. He said 361 undressed. I wouldn’t know what to do with one that big. Here’s pictures of mine, I’m 6’ 285.
That buck is huge!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
The whitetail God's where good to me in the early 2000's time frame. 1 dressed out 218lbs, the other 194 lbs with the bow, then a nice mountain buck at 165 lb during gun week, all in NJ public land.

Now in Maine my buddy got a 265 lb, and a 232 lb, those Maine deer are huge

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My heaviest was also my nicest antlers. Taken in 2010 he was a 10 point, 20 1/2 inch outside and gross scored 140 5/8". That buck weighed 185 pounds field dressed. Not bad for Clinton County mountain buck!:smile2:

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I just talked to the guy this morning that killed that huge bodied buck I mentioned. Figured I'd go over and get the info right from the horses mouth.

His buck Dressed 283lb with an estimated live weight of 356lb. This buck was killed very near some of my own stomping grounds.

It was a nice eight point that probably scored in the 130s I'd guess, but I never asked him about the score.

He had the jaw bone aged by QDMA biologist and they said the deer was just 4.5 years old.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This is my biggest. A 144 inch PA 12 point from 2016 in Cambria County. I didn't weigh it dressed but I was able to get 74 lbs. of usable meat. I generally get about a 30%-32% return on the deer I process so I estimate around 231 lbs to 247 lbs. live weight. I've killed a number of bucks in the 175 to 190 lbs. range in Georgia and the PA buck dwarfed all of them in body size.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts