The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas for a heater for a pop up camper with no electric hook up? I've heard of those Mr Buddy Heaters but wasn't sure if you can use one inside?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I used the mr buddy in a fold down camper in some very cold weather and it worked fine , leave a vent open for fresh air. they do use a lot of fuel so you might want to hook it up to a 20lb. tank. the small bottles only last 4 to 5 hours.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
i have a mr. buddy i use in my van. called the company and they say you need 10 square inches of vent, which is only about a 3" square. i crack both front windows about an inch and have a carbon monoxide detector. they have a low ox. shut off also.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
MntnHntr said:
Tracker said:
The fan won't run off the battery??
I'm not sure what you mean?
Does your pop-up has a furnace?
If so the only power it needs is to run the fan/blower and that should run off of 12 volts, car (or marine)battery that is normally mounted on the tongue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a slide in pop up truck camper and used a Coleman Black Cat heater. Worked good. IMHO I think it is a little safer than the MR Heater which I also have.
I had insulation for the fabric part of the sides. This really helped alot.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tracker said:
MntnHntr said:
Tracker said:
The fan won't run off the battery??
I'm not sure what you mean?
Does your pop-up has a furnace?
If so the only power it needs is to run the fan/blower and that should run off of 12 volts, car (or marine)battery that is normally mounted on the tongue.
No, no furnace in it.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
tour popup must be real old not to have electric hook up. why not use a heavy duty extension cord and use an electric heater. that is if you are camping at a campground.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does have an electric hook up but I wont be camping at campgrounds. Most of the time will be away from any source of power. I looked into small generators but they can be noisy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use the Little Buddy with a hose & filter on a 20-lb. tank. This heats my 18-ft. camper in the coldest hunting weather, for several days & nights. It is completely safe and will "run you outta there". It should heat a pop-up just fine, but the hose & tank are a pain in the butt if you're short on floor space. It is also VERY dry heat and you can wake up in the morning with dry sinuses. I wouldn't recommend the Mr. Heater (the one with the fan - you don't need a fan) since its lowest setting is probably more than you'd need except in teen-20's winter weather) - the little one will do it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts