The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been close to whacking a big 20" 8 point for the last three evenings as he's been trailing the local does. He never got close enough in my self-imposed 30 yard range for a shot. This afternoon started out great as the deer started moving around 4 P.M. and I saw a forkhorn chase a doe right under my stand. At 4:30 I saw a small 8 point hanging with a group of does about 60 yards away and figured that the big boy might join in on the fun shortly. My stand sits at a saddle on a hillside that overlooks a creek and Route 56 about 350 yards away.

At 4:50 P.M. I heard a loud metallic "bang" and what I thought was a gutteral "MOOO!" sound. I figured someone clobbered a deer (or a cow). I was right - when I got back to my car at 5:40, I decided to take a ride past where I heard the commotion. What I saw made me sick. There was the big 8 point, paralyzed from the neck down, still alive, with his head up, laying next to the guard rail. There were three pickups gathered around, all with their tailgates down, and a police officer keeping the traffic moving. I guess they were all waiting for the poor fellow to expire so one of them could claim the deer. What a shame that this magnificent animal had to die such an undignified death. I just wish he had been a little closer to me the last couple of days... I'm just sick to my stomach!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, he was pretty busy keeping the rubberneckers moving and preventing an accident. I didn't wait around, so he may have dispatched it afterward.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Well......there was your big chance. You could have legally put an arrow in him, tossed him in the truck, and headed down the road.....all the while concocting some great tale for your buddies about the rattling/snort-wheezing sequence you used to get him within bow range, and how he bellowed like a dairy bull just before the shot!
Invent the new dairy bull buck bellow call and be a millionaire. You let that one slip right on by.......

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It amazes me to end end that a wily animal who can detect the slightest motion or sound at great distances, steps right in front of a loud, moving vehicle.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Talonracer said:
It amazes me to end end that a wily animal who can detect the slightest motion or sound at great distances, steps right in front of a loud, moving vehicle.
Exactly, but of course this time of year they are clueless except for one thing.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Almost as bad as my buddy.
last week they pulled into their hunting spot, getting their stuff ready on the tailgate and the buck they were hunting ran out of the woods about 30 yards from them and got hit.
He claimed it, turned in the rack and got 50 pounds of meat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts