The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am walking along today and i found a warm deer heart laying in the leaves, so i put it in my pocket.... my dad always cooked it, cut it into cubes and pickled it, i had it sliced very thin and fried once.... not sure how they did it, ( marinade, or what seasoned with) but it was fabulous... anyone have any good recipe's

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
i am walking along today and i found a warm deer heart laying in the leaves, so i put it in my pocket
lol, thats is something you just dont hear every day.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Pickled deer heart is GREAT beer food.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Ghost said:
i am walking along today and i found a warm deer heart laying in the leaves, so i put it in my pocket
I thought the same thing.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Boil heart in water witha handful of pickling spices. When tender, slice thin. Layer in quart jar , alternating layers with thin sliced onions. Ya can throw whole garlic in too.
Teh cover with a mixture of half vingar and half water. Let set 3 days then have at it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Ghost said:
I thought the same thing.
I have a counsin who carries a gallon Zip Lock Baggie with him every time he goes out in Rifle Season... he does a lot of Still hunting.. when he comes apone someone who is gutting a deer, he always asks them if they want the heart, if they do not, he then asks for it and almost Always gets it given to him...I've also seen him walk up to Gut Piles and check for hearts, if they are in there, they go in his baggie....

He likes to pickled them and he loves to eat them!

I remember he and I hunting with my Dad 1 year.. I was watching him do his collecting of deer hearts, My Dad saw me watching him closley on what he was doing.. Dad said in 1 of those Dad Tones "DON'T EVEN GET ANY IDEAS IN YOUR HEAD!"

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Pickling them is good,a friend of mine used to get queasy gutting a deer,one day he watched me gut one ,he was turning white,I reached in ,pulled the heart out,and took a big bite out of it,wasn't too bad.he since gave hunting up

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Jock said:
Sorry Woody but I gotta know.....Did you respond with "Awww c'mon dad, have a heart" ???

Nope... I'm not a Fan of deer hearts, I'll eat them if they are pickled or Fried Correctly....I mostly use mine to use as filler in Bologna...

I check out Gut Piles when I walk onto them...but I DON'T Go digging thru them like my cousin does for the hearts... and it didn't have anything to do with what Dad said!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got done cooking one for meand my son. Wife and daughter turned up thier noses.
Cast iron skillet, heart sliced about 1/2" thick.
1/2 onion, 1 garlic clove, couple of pinches of fresh green onions, bout a teaspoonful of olive oil.
I put the onions,garlic, and oil on simmer for about 5 mins
Salt and pepper the slices
Turn heat on high, put the meat in contact with the pan.
<span style="color: #FF0000">The key is 1 flip and high heat.</span>
If needed add water to regulate temp.
Cook medium rare, very tender and juicy.
Serve hot with worchester sauce <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span>

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
N8_Fudd said:
I just got done cooking one for meand my son. Wife and daughter turned up thier noses.
Cast iron skillet, heart sliced about 1/2" thick.
1/2 onion, 1 garlic clove, couple of pinches of fresh green onions, bout a teaspoonful of olive oil.
I put the onions,garlic, and oil on simmer for about 5 mins
Salt and pepper the slices
Turn heat on high, put the meat in contact with the pan.
The key is 1 flip and high heat.
If needed add water to regulate temp.
Cook medium rare, very tender and juicy.
Serve hot with worchester sauce
wow, this is very similar to what I cooked up today:

deer heart & asparagus spears
springfreak springfreak
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: NW PA Just cooked some up, cut away everything but the heart muscle, then cut that in bite size pieces, brown in olive oil, after browned add cut up onion, salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce, (or your favorite sauce), then let simmer till done, if needed add a little water. For the spears I just brown 2min on each side in a little olive oil, then one more minute and done, mmmmmmmm enjoy..

You could also do this with other venison cuts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts