The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, huh, I think it's about time I start looking into hearing aids... It's getting to the point that if I'm not looking at you or in the same room, I never pick up what someone is saying. Most of the time it's the tone of someone's voice I don't hear. Some people I hear better than others. With the expense of the things I was wondering does anyone use them and do they really help. I don't want to wear the things if they sound like I'm in a barrel. When shooting do they blow your ears off? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Well, huh, I think it's about time I start looking into hearing aids... It's getting to the point that if I'm not looking at you or in the same room, I never pick up what someone is saying. Most of the time it's the tone of someone's voice I don't hear. Some people I hear better than others. With the expense of the things I was wondering does anyone use them and do they really help. I don't want to wear the things if they sound like I'm in a barrel. When shooting do they blow your ears off? Thanks for the info.
First of all go to an audiologist, don't just go and buy a set of hearing aids because they are cheap. An audiologist will give you a hearing test and see what part of your hearing needs help and recommend hearing aids that can help you. Are they expensive, yes I paid almost 6 grand for mine and I have them now for about 6 years and they are still going strong. You can just go out and buy something that may or may not help you if you like buy it is just as likely as not you will be cheating yourself.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made an appointment with an audiologist for Tuesday. No doubt in my mind I need them. I've just been putting it off.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
look into Starky hearing aids, good stuff.

most hearing aids must be removed if shooting or bathing. if you get waterproof and/or noise reducing aids will add to the cost.

·
Administrator
15,247 Posts
I bought Starkey Hearing aids 2 years ago and it was well worth the money.
Well I got them on sale for $4500.00.
I have the one with the receiver in canal.
It also has a bunch of different programs on it for different environments .
Can't wear them in the shower but there is no problem wearing them when I shoot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Old post but I believe I have something to add. Wife and I recently obtained hearing aids at Costco, Phillips brand, with charger. $1,799.00 per pair. Costco Hearing Aid Center in store has sound proof booth for testing. If you have poor hearing I do recommend checking Costco out for hearing aids. I could never rationalize, justify, paying the price sought by other hearing aid centers.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well an update.
After having my hearing checked at three different places the results were all the same. I couldn't hear crap. The last place I had it checked was Hearing Unlimited. The office was located in a hospital. After a real thorough hearing test I was recommended Oticon hearing aids. These were ones that rather than amplify they could be programed for the frequencies I couldn't hear and let normal for the ones I could. There was a 30 day test drive. I started out with them set at 70% and had to return once a week to check the programing and to increase the frequency strengths. After the 4th week they were set at 100% for the frequency's I couldn't hear. These are the behind the ear rechargeable aids. The tech. could tell how many hours a day I wore them and what periods of the day. I have to say I never heard so many birds chirping in the morning, can hear the wife in the next room (I sometimes turn them down) darn refrigerator makes a heck of a noise, I hear every squeak and rattle in the truck. Turkey season was great. I heard birds I would have never heard before. At first you tend to get discouraged thinking the things don't work, but like I said as they increase the frequencies things really start to sound good. They said it sometimes take a person 6 months to get use to them it took me about 5 weeks. They very comfortable and I have to watch because sometimes I forget I have them on and go to jump in the shower. Easy to adjust the volume up and down. I take them off when I'm working up a sweat or if its raining out. They weren't cheap almost $5000 but they make a heck of a difference. Background noises are not a problem, easy to hear in crowds. I should have gotten them years ago.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
That's about the only thing working is my hearing, Ever thing else SUCKS! If your a veteran and go to a VA , The'll pay for your hearing aids.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
That's about the only thing working is my hearing, Ever thing else SUCKS! If your a veteran and go to a VA , The'll pay for your hearing aids.
Not that simple. If you retired from the military, yes. If you just served you need to convince them it’s service related.
Just went through it, got turned down, didn’t surprise me any, and I was a flight deck troubleshooter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts