The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I hear shots during Spring Gobbler season I always wonder just what happen? If I hear a single shot I often think a dead bird...or was it a miss?

When I hear a single shot then a second shot a minute or so later I think a follow up shot was necessary or did the hunter kill a gobbler then the hunter was tempted to shoot a second gobbler which stayed around to watch his buddy flop on the ground....or did the hunter miss the gobbler coming in and the second shot was after the bird was airborne.

Hey, got to think of sometime to pass the time.

This morning little different storyline. I heard two very fast shotgun shots....no time to aim between shots......Two hunters? Both shots sounded identical in sound to my ears.....Why would someone shoot 2 times at a turkey as fast as they could pull the trigger?

Then a few minutes later there were three rifle shots (Sounded like a 22) in the opposite direction that reported in a quick pace of about as fast as one could work a lever or bolt.

Both series before 7AM and each sounded close to county roads, but the roads were not visible from my position.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,465 Posts
This morning little different storyline. I heard two very fast shotgun shots....no time to aim between shots......Two hunters? Both shots sounded identical in sound to my ears.....Why would someone shoot 2 times at a turkey as fast as they could pull the trigger?
Two guys in a blind, two gobblers... get ready, 1-2-3 shoot!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Two guys in a blind, two gobblers... get ready, 1-2-3 shoot!
That's my thought exactly. When I have my dad out, we've had multiple gobblers come in at once. We try to time it so we shoot at the same time, but it rarely works out exactly and you get that real quick boom, boom.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used to play those guessing games as well. Pretty much given up on trying to make sense of it. Don't know how many opening days of deer season I have sat there and listened to what sounds like D-Day, part two. You start thinking to yourself if just half of the shots you just heard over the last hour actually hit a deer, you might as well go home, cause there aint no deer left.

But seriously, more than a couple times when hunting state land, in a variety of states, I have heard shots real close by, and walked over to investigate. "Just wanted to try out the new gun", "making sure it's on", "think I seen a deer" are some of the tales I have heard. Sometimes, someone has actually shot a deer...:)

What is the old saying?

One shot - meat in the pot
Two shots - Maybe
Three shots - Nope

Larry

·
Registered
614 Posts
What is the old saying?

One shot - meat in the pot
Two shots - Maybe
Three shots - Nope

Larry

What do they say about four shots? I heard a 4 shot volley on Saturday and thought it was the guys that beat me to the trailhead I wanted to go up, made me think of this thread. Later I found out it was my buddies day way further away than I though the shot sounded. It went something like this:

First shot: bird hit and goes running off
Second shot: Bird hit again and running around in circles- can't quite fly, can't quite run
Third shot: Clean miss - bird retreats to a bush
Fourth shot: 90% decapitation

·
Registered
198 Posts
With the luck I have calling in coyotes while turkey hunting I often think “was that shot a turkey or a yote?” Haha but seriously I wonder how many are actually turkeys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts