The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be fixed? I have a savage 99 308 that im told is unsafe because the headspacing is bad. Ant help appreciated

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Who told you this? Also yes a reliable gun Smith can fix a head space issue. I have 308 go no go gauge if you are close to cabelas and want to know for sure

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a gunsmith look at it at a local shop. He said it was so bad that it would explode if i shot it

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
The gunsmith looked at it? Did he use gage?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My experience with 99s is limited at best, but I doubt it has a headspace problem as such but a lever problem.

When you raise the lever you'll feel a little resistance at the last little bit of its movement. That resistance at the end is basically the "Camming over" and locking the breach bolt in place. Over time with use the tip of the lever and breach bolt mortice wear and allows the breach bolt to move rearward when firing a cartridge. The typical indication are primers protruding from the casehead after firing.

Some simply bend the lever , but personally I and others feel rebuilding it is the correct repair as in this example > Savage 99 lever droop

If you take the rifle to a 'smith ask him/she /it how they would do the repair. If its bending the lever....find a another 'smith!!!!

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I got from smith was the gun has a headspacing issue and that he would never shoot t unless i had to defend my life. It was my dads,so t has some meaning to me. I would love to carry it someday just for that reason.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I would get a second opinion on this head space issue. Also, how well do you know this gunsmith? Finally - if he offers to buy the rifle, I would look really hard at his headspace problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He works at a reputable gun shop here in the lehigh Valley. I had him do some work on some other stuff and was happy. I appreciate everyones help here. Wildbill may have something becuase the lever is tight and wgen you go to work it it really is hard to open

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If you are going to get a second opionion call Lester Knipe 610-395-8146. You will get a accurate and honest evaluation of your guns problem.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
DGD308 said:
All I got from smith was the gun has a headspacing issue and that he would never shoot t unless i had to defend my life. It was my dads,so t has some meaning to me. I would love to carry it someday just for that reason.
The reason I mentioned the level issue, I have a 99B chambered in 303 manufactured in 1903 passed down by one of my late uncles with much the same problem. In my case the primers would back out as much as .013", some not at all. My first thought it was a headspace issue so I made a gauge with a .064" thick rim, what the brass measured I was using. The action would lock in it bare, but not shimmed .002".

After discussing it with a few knowledgeable 99 folks ( I ain't one!) the consensus was its lever breach bolt-lever issue. Maybe one of these days I might rip it apart and fix it.

Without having the rifle in hand its tough to say what the problem is, but if you're somewhere close you're more than welcome to use my gauges to check it out for yourself.

Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in East Stroudsburg if you get up my way at all. I can check it for you with you there and discuss options if needed. Let me know 570-242-9044

1 - 12 of 12 Posts