The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone using? I've been using small green caplights for years now but they are virtually worthless for following blood in the dark.

Looking for something that has adjustable intensity. I like the idea of toning it down for navigating in the morning and then increasing the brightness for bloodtrailing.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have one made by Rayovac,it has an elastic band that fits comfortably around any kind of hat.It has a strong led main beam for seeing in the dark,also has 2 red LEDs and 2 blue LEDs which are supposedly good for blood trailing in the dark,although I never tried it for blood trailing.Its the best headlamp I've found so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had a few different ones over the years and have settled on one specific model in the last few years. I like the Princeton Tec Fuel. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket and is not heavy on your head. You can tilt the light. It has 4 LEDs, uses 3 AAA batteries which last for a very long time. It has a smart switch, which I think is one of the very best features. Has high, med, low and flash with a quick shutoff, so you do not need to cycle through the modes. I use one several times a week year round and have about 4 or 5 now. It is USA made (New Jersey) and they have a life time warranty. I have had to replace the battery door cover on a few of them. I call the manufacturer, they take my info and send me the parts, including a spare. Best part is the cost, which is maximum $20 - $25. I have bought most on sale at Dicks, Cabelas, ebay and other places for $15 - $20. I have used cheaper (Coleman, Energizer, off brands) and some more expensive ones, but I don't like to spend big $ on something we might break, lose or misplace. This is not a powerful spotlight type head lamp, but is good for walking in the woods, setting decoys, working under the sink, whatever. I have recommended this model to so many people and have never heard any gripes.

Best of luck with whatever you choose

http://www.princetontec.com/fuel

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
MoeRalph said:
I have had a few different ones over the years and have settled on one specific model in the last few years. I like the Princeton Tec Fuel. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket and is not heavy on your head. You can tilt the light. It has 4 LEDs, uses 3 AAA batteries which last for a very long time. It has a smart switch, which I think is one of the very best features. Has high, med, low and flash with a quick shutoff, so you do not need to cycle through the modes. I use one several times a week year round and have about 4 or 5 now. It is USA made (New Jersey) and they have a life time warranty. I have had to replace the battery door cover on a few of them. I call the manufacturer, they take my info and send me the parts, including a spare. Best part is the cost, which is maximum $20 - $25. I have bought most on sale at Dicks, Cabelas, ebay and other places for $15 - $20. I have used cheaper (Coleman, Energizer, off brands) and some more expensive ones, but I don't like to spend big $ on something we might break, lose or misplace. This is not a powerful spotlight type head lamp, but is good for walking in the woods, setting decoys, working under the sink, whatever. I have recommended this model to so many people and have never heard any gripes.

Best of luck with whatever you choose

http://www.princetontec.com/fuel
x2

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As luck would have it, the Fuel is on sale now at Dick's and Field & Stream for $9.99. Can't go wrong at that price!

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have used the higher end Princetons etc but my go to lite is the no frills under $10 Cyclops CYC-MHC-W Micro Mini LED Hat Clip Light.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a $30 streamlight headlamp its green forget the model but it comes with a greenlight a medium light and a spot light mode.Also accidentally sent it through the wash and dryer and it didnt even phase it. Well worth the money

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
nfd27 said:
I have a $30 streamlight headlamp its green forget the model but it comes with a greenlight a medium light and a spot light mode.Also accidentally sent it through the wash and dryer and it didnt even phase it. Well worth the money
I have the same one and also love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts