The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come every head shot story I read about involves does only? If people are 100% confident in their head shot skills, wouldn't they take the same shot at a buck? It is almost as if does are a 'lesser' animal and don't deserve a well placed shot behind the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Speaking just for myself: Much more time is taken when I shoot at the head. Often times I have found less time opportunity with bucks. Of coarse if shooting at an older class bigger buck I don't want to damage the cape. If someone feels confident with thier ability to make a clean head shot there will be a clean body cavity. My favorite kind.

I certainly don't consider does lesser than bucks but, I do find them tastier.

I get where you are coming from though.

Rutledge, said it well: There are hunters and then there are turkey hunters. We love head shots.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
I take the shot that will at any given time,dispatch the animal ethically.I neck shot a doe last year facing dead straight away from me.If it were a buck I would have done the same thing.I want the animal to not have to suffer pain.When I was a young man I hit a deer in the spine.It bawled so loud I can't forget it.I promised myself it won't happen again.I ran full speed to that deer and made a head shot to end it's misery.I almost quit hunting that day out of respect for that deer.Since then I have made a point to practice shooting more.I can't remember why I still hunt.I do know that my practice might save me repeating what happened that day.I wish more would do the same thing.I practice enough to actually know when I'm off my game.If I look through that scope I already know if that shot will hit where intended.I have lowered my rifle a few times honoring that deer that bawled.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I will be 70 in a few months and grew up hunting and target shooting. Know the gun and most of all know your own ability with that weapon. I head shoot everything, squirrels, deer, groundhogs. I can't hit a barn from the inside with a shotgun! I have watch good marksmen make great shots on paper and shake so bad when a deer walked out. You do what is comfortable for you and make a good shot, keeping in mind to quickly put down that target. I will say this, too many hunters use a cannon to compensate for poor marksmanship! My buddy who owns a gun shop tells me his best business is on the weekend of deer opener. Quick buy a rifle, hunt, sell it back after the season ends. Good shooting and God Bless!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I shot until my target is fully complient. Be it one well placed shot or a few...head shots are not an issue for a well seasoned and/ or trained riflemen IMHO....

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
I don't care how good of a shot you are or "think" you are, a head shot is just wrong and unethical.......it's disrespectful to the animal and the margin for error is too great. I truly believe head shots on deer are done for one reason....the hunters ego.
I agree. A deer's brain is about the size of a baseball. Miss the baseball....it's one ugly hit. A shot behind the shoulder wastes no meat, and there's more room for error. A head shot deer isn't gonna bleed out as well as a double lunged deer as you stop the heart without a major wound channel.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I agree. A deer's brain is about the size of a baseball. Miss the baseball....it's one ugly hit. A shot behind the shoulder wastes no meat, and there's more room for error. A head shot deer isn't gonna bleed out as well as a double lunged deer as you stop the heart without a major wound channel.
Agree, and will add that a deer shot through the jaw usually dies a lingering and painful death.

·
Super Moderator
13,799 Posts
Pretty much every year of my career I had to dispatch at least one and usually several deer that someone had tried a head shot on and ended up blowing the jaws apart. Those deer would have died a horrible death of starvation or predation had I not discovered them and humanely dispatched them. With the number of them I found I shutter to think of how many were out there that died that horrible death. I never attempt a head shot on anything other than a turkey. Deer have a large kill area behind the shoulders where the heart and lungs are located. That should always be the most ethical target area.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
883 Posts
I don't take head shots at bucks due to the fact that most of the bucks I shoot get mounted. When I go out to harvest a doe, I'll wait till she reaches a point where I don't have to drag her and put one between her eyes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
At the game lands range off Rt 944 I have watch folks sighting in their rifles using a 9 inch pie plate at the 100 yd board. Five rounds, three in the plate. "That's close enough to get any deer." You are correct, go for mass, make a large hole. Those pie plate shooters should never go for a precision placement shot on game.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you can't hit a baseball with a rifle you need to spend more time at the range. I have seen more gut shot deer lost than anything. if you are going to head shoot a deer it has to be the right situation and you have to be confident in your ability and your rifle.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I only shoot boone and crocket bucks and I don't want to damage the skull plate and have a possible world record DQd. :)

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
why do these head shot threads come up ???????....WHY even take shot at he head ????????????....

1 - 20 of 94 Posts