The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody uses a HDTV antenna at their camp? Specifically southern Cameron County. Wondering if they work.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i have one in Wyoming County and it works great, i think we get 13 channels. If I remember correctly it is called the Omni multi directional, i bought it at Radio Shack for about 80 bucks. Radio Shack has a 30 day return policy so you can get one hook it up and if it works great, if not take it back.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Antennas did not change w/ the introduction of digital media. Depending on the available channels you need a UHF or a VHF/UHF combo antenna they are not 'digital or Hi-Def'.

I had to upgrade my camp from a VHF only setup and most of the channels I get were on upper VHF and UHF frequencies so I chose a UHF antenna.

I got a Clearstream CS2 and should have got the CS4.

I lost channel 6 from Phila [ABC] as a UHF antena only received VHF from channel 7 - 13 and ABC in Phila stayed on it's original VHF frequency.

Channed 3 [CBS] shifted to a UHF frequency so I still receive it!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have found the best is to get direct tv take a spare receiver to camp and not worry about the antenna!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
blueridgehunter said:
I have found the best is to get direct tv take a spare receiver to camp and not worry about the antenna!

Where did you get your extra unit on the roof for the cabin. Did they give you an extra for your house. I might do this at mine.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Do a search on youtube for homemade digital ant.I built one with PVC and copper wire I had around.Much better than store bought.Haven't had a cable bill in 6 yrs. here at the house.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I got my spare dish from a neighbor who was't using direct tv any more. try craig list or ebay. the spare receiver I just take from home.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Anyone still getting TV signals via an antenna, must be fairly close to the source of the signal these days?

We used to get two Buffalo TV stations (about 100 air miles) at camp (NW Tioga), then that went away with the advent of digital broadcast. I had even bought a new antenna just a few years before that happened and reception was usually pretty good, then Poof! Get nothing now.

Ridge to the NE blocks the signal from Elmira, another ridge to the SW blocks the PBS channel from State College. The Buffalo channels came in because of the terrain, as there was nothing blocking those signals.

But now they're too weak to make it (digital broadcast doesn't have the reach of analog broadcast), plus those stations redirected their broadcast to be stronger in western NY.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
DennyF said:
Anyone still getting TV signals via an antenna, must be fairly close to the source of the signal these days?

We used to get two Buffalo TV stations (about 100 air miles) at camp (NW Tioga), then that went away with the advent of digital broadcast. I had even bought a new antenna just a few years before that happened and reception was usually pretty good, then Poof! Get nothing now.

Ridge to the NE blocks the signal from Elmira, another ridge to the SW blocks the PBS channel from State College. The Buffalo channels came in because of the terrain, as there was nothing blocking those signals.

But now they're too weak to make it (digital broadcast doesn't have the reach of analog broadcast), plus those stations redirected their broadcast to be stronger in western NY.
Mt Pocono blocks me from Scranton/WilkesBarre stations but we have line of sight to the water gap and bring in Philadelphia stations from a good 75 miles. At first all I got was NBC but when I scanned I saw signals that would not lock in. Adding an amplifier solved that.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Noticed a few weak stations getting a "hit" when I took a digital converter up to camp, after the change in broadcast format and scanned the converter.

Decided I'd sooner eventually get satellite at camp, than spend money on amps that might not do the trick?

Mountains are great scenery and good hunting, but a pain for TV reception. Everyone in the area went to dishes years ago and now enjoy TV, something that was all but impossible there years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts