The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
281 - 298 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
steelhead125 said:
That's scary.
It can be but even in areas where CWD is widespread, hunting and game numbers remain strong. Different tactics have been used to try to stop the spread or contain it but it seems not much has helped.

I would just hate to see a overreaction to this that may hurt the hunting scent and feed industry. Not to mention bans on certain things that would unfairly target hunters, IMO.

We have to look at where it is accross the nation, what the results have been, which tactics have been used to try to contain or stop it and what the results were before jumping to conclusions or taking expiditious actions out of haste.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Thanks dpms. I guess reading the recent reports of confirmed cases kind of put me into panic mode.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
It is a cause for concern, no doubt. Just got here before anyone wanted it to.

·
Registered
18,569 Posts
If a bait pile heightens the risk of spreading cwd, then certainly a food plot would meet the same criteria. Ooooh . This might be a sore subject with the Qdma crowd. I say ban it all. But hey there ia alot of money in the foodplot and supplements industry, and we all saw the power weilded by the almighty dollar when the crossbow industry made their push for legalization. I suppose there is alot less money driving the shelled bait corn industry.....my prediction: the corn won't pass but the fod plots while still baiting will be around for the long haul thanks to the efforts of the Questionable Deer Mgt Assoc. and the vested monetary interests of the food plot industry .
You are on a roll. Now I owe you the first two round if we ever meet.
Waugh!

·
Registered
18,569 Posts
I don't think there really is any any to effectively slow the spread to any sort of measureable degree.
I know you all are not going to like this but..... To slow the spread we only need to shoot the yearlings that get dispersed. You all know what that means.
Waugh!

·
Registered
18,569 Posts
Does it die off in a few hours or does it last for days ?
Not known for sure. But it can last in the soil for years depending on soil type. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,569 Posts
We have to look at where it is accross the nation, what the results have been, which tactics have been used to try to contain or stop it and what the results were before jumping to conclusions or taking expiditious actions out of haste.
The PGC already has a plan in place. I know some will feel it is knee jerk reaction but they have been tweeking this plan for years knowing it would get here. Waugh!

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
jimbridger said:
The PGC already has a plan in place. I know some will feel it is knee jerk reaction but they have been tweeking this plan for years knowing it would get here. Waugh!
I know. That is what has me worried.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I typically side with Haluska and he regularly gets my vote but I do not like this one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
dpms said:
TusseyMtMan said:
DPMS, you think people should have to work hard for their money and be rewarded for their hard work and talent, and not have everything given to them. I think that, too. I also feel the same way about hunting. All this stuff is 100% about making hunting easier, making it about not having to scout, find game, walk far, etc. I am consistant in my beliefs, at least.
If I like to pattern deer naturally and some guys have 10 corn piles out in the general area I hunt, it affects me. So, don't say it doesn't.
Allowing baiting is like raising the minimum wage. You are trying to help level the playing field for those who don't want to expend effort.
Tussey,

Much of the technologies that hunters have embraced have made hunting easier. Do you deny that you have taken advantage of tactics or technologies that have made hunting easier? Not all of the hunters that may use bait or plant plots are somehow afraid of hard work or dedication to the sport. It is true that some will walk into the woods, dump a pile of acorn rage and sit on a stump. it is also true that many use bait and plots as a adjunct to woodsman ship to increase their levels of success. Just as archers have embraced compounds, rifle hunters have embraced magnified optics and muzzleloaders have embraced inlines. Just as many hunt from tree stands, use trail cameras, use laser rangefinders and wear scent lok clothing.
this is all true, does it make me lazy if id hike a few miles up the mountain in the summer scouting and hang a trail cam and put a mineral lick down or some buck jam?
i dont think so... im not really for baiting but if it becomes legal i will do it some part of the year, but saying someone is lazy for strategically planting a food plot to hunt over is just dumb because that aint the easiest work to do and its the same as if a farmer planted corn and someone would hunt over it. there isn't a thing wrong with that, baiting is kinda like a decoy, the deer find it and go to it, i know thats not the best example but its the same thing except bait stays there longer and the deer know its there at all times

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
but saying someone is lazy for strategically planting a food plot to hunt over is just dumb because that aint the easiest work to do and <span style="font-style: italic">its the same as if a farmer planted corn</span> and someone would hunt over it. <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span>

Bingo someone finaly got it, your planting food for deer, you are farming deer. The farmer is planting food for his livestock, he is not going out and hunting over it, and did not plant it in the intention of shooting a wild animal over it. Also we are not talking corn most of the time we are talking deer addiction foods, in these kill plots. It is hunting over bait, legal but food planted for the purpose of luring a animal to its death is baiting.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Farmers hope nothing they plant is crop damaged..foodploters hope it all is.

My perspective.....most foodplotters do it to attract the available deer in the immediate area to their property. One landowner does it..the next feels pressured to. The little landowner (small acreage) feels the need to bait so that they can compete with the neighbors.

Habitat improvement? Maybe! That hinges on the landowner controling enough land.. such as the PGC does with the SGLs. Wasn't it Aldo Leopold who said food plotting can do more harm than good...because it draws deer into areas that they eventually overbrowse. ???

I'm 99% opposed to baiting...however having had the frustration of private land controlers put corn out in the late flintlock season to draw deer away from an SGl, I'm wondering if it shouldn't be allowed. Afterall, if one can do it to purposely affect the game harvest...

I'd much rather it was made illegal... period.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
but saying someone is lazy for strategically planting a food plot to hunt over is just dumb because that aint the easiest work to do and its the same as if a farmer planted corn and someone would hunt over it.

Bingo someone finaly got it, your planting food for deer, you are farming deer. The farmer is planting food for his livestock, he is not going out and hunting over it, and did not plant it in the intention of shooting a wild animal over it. Also we are not talking corn most of the time we are talking deer addiction foods, in these kill plots. It is hunting over bait, legal but food planted for the purpose of luring a animal to its death is baiting.
the way i look at it is i dont have a fence around it with deer in it so therefore hunters who plant food plots are not farming deer

·
Registered
13 Posts
This past summer I planted 2 decent sized food plots on my 17 acre private land adjacent from the high-acraged private land that I sometimes hunt. It took me almost a whole day to plant just one of those plots and we have a Bobcat UTV with the whole hydraulic setup that I could have easily put the bucket on and went to town, did I? NO, because I didn't want to disturb the deer that hangout int he area by driving it back through there when I was planting a food plot for complete opposite reason. So the moral of my story is that anyone who says planting food plots is "lazy hunting" should come plant my food plots this summer and then tell me how lazy of a hunter I am. And also every second I was out there planting those I had sweat dripping and I had blisters on my hands, but I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!

·
Registered
235 Posts
i think it should be like it is down here in maryland, baiting only allowed on private land and sunday hunting also should be allowed if not everywhere atleast on private land

281 - 298 of 298 Posts