The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Act amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, further providing for unlawful devices and methods.

Prime Sponsor: Representative HALUSKA

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...pe=B&bn=679

INTRODUCED BY HALUSKA, COHEN, CALTAGIRONE, GODSHALL, KORTZ, FLECK, CLYMER, EVERETT, MAHONEY, DELUCA, MOUL AND MURT,

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Get a load of this co-sponsor memo!!

MEMORANDUM

Posted: January 17, 2013 02:42 PM

To: All House members

Subject: Amend Section 2308 of Title 34 (Game & Wildlife Code) to Specifically Allow the Use of Corn as Bait ( Former 679)

I intend to re-introduce legislation that would amend Section 2308 of Title 34 (Game & Wildlife Code) to specifically allow the use of corn as bait when hunting game or wildlife in the state. <span style="font-weight: bold">It is my understanding that a vast majority of sportsmen's clubs in Pennsylvania support this practice</span> and it is my intention to ensure this option remains available to them.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=11115

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well they eat off the same turnips so might as well legalize it, many do it anyway. And you can use corn all but 1 month if your just a gun deer hunter.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allowing bait paints hunters as unethical to others in society.

Second, a law already exists, else wise - the GC couldn't authorize baiting, limited or not in the eastern SRA as they now have.

This bill serves to make baiting lawful across the state.

I take huge issue with the statement that sportsmens groups suppoert this idea. I contend, most oppose it strongly.

But some of the sponsors have interests and groups they support that have run afoul of the law. Everret is a lawyer and his firm defended the powerful, connected, that got pinched a couple of years ago for having active feeders out during bear season.

Godshall, Lifetime Honorary Member of USP, has been pushing this for years.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would prefer they banned feeding all together at all times in this state though that would be problematic and unenforceable. Considering that many do in fact bait anyway and the current laws do little to deter baiting and go largely unenforced this bill should seems better then what we currently have.

If the current baiting laws are ignored by many they might as well just legalize baiting. It does no good to have unenforceable laws on the books. Baiting is hear now in PA and always will be.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bluetick said:

Second, a law already exists, else wise - the GC couldn't authorize baiting, limited or not in the eastern SRA as they now have.

This bill serves to make baiting lawful across the state.

I take huge issue with the statement that sportsmens groups suppoert this idea. I contend, most oppose it strongly.

But some of the sponsors have interests and groups they support that have run afoul of the law. Everret is a lawyer and his firm defended the powerful, connected, that got pinched a couple of years ago for having active feeders out during bear season.

Godshall, Lifetime Honorary Member of USP, has been pushing this for years.
Yes but as other posters are saying also, many do it, and its mostly uninforced as they say. WCOs just dont walk on posted properties looking for bait. And again most can put out all types of food except for 1 month, depending on how they hunt. I agree on the sportsmansgroups, they no the risks of CWD. But again theres bait out there everywhere when I coyote hunt during the day in archery.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
GRock said:
Sure, why not? If you can plant a food plot and hunt over it, I see no reason why you can't use corn.
I see no difference. Or a problem with people using bait. People have their own methods of hunting.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plant - has roots. Attracts bugs, birds, and other wildlife as <span style="font-weight: bold">a total long term source of nourishment.</span> Roots makes the difference in attractiveness to wildlife... and the current law.

Roots in the ground provide the base for a complete Eco-system to develop around the plot. From the micro organisms, to invertebrates, and then the higher order animals.

A plot is not baiting any more than a farm field with Alfalfa or corn is. Both are there long term.

Bait: used as a short term enticement for hunting. No other gain or benefit.

Still to this day, the majority of hunters in Pennsylvania DO NOT support baiting. This bill is a repeat of others in every session since I can remember. it never survives a committee vote due to SPORTSMEN AND SPORTSMAN'S CLUBS OPPOSING IT - STRONGLY.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
Haluska introduces this every year. Thought we may not see it this year, with the CWD.
that is what shocks me, seems VERY counter productive in the wake of CWD. Is he trying to introduce CWD or what??

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
He doesn't care. Proposes allowing shelled corn every year. One of the legislators who has it in for the PGC and is no friend of wildlife.
Some of his past efforts:
*Proposing a luxury golf resort on the wilderness peninsula of the Prince Gallitzin State Park in his district. Luckily, this failed. He pushed hard for years.
*Fought hard to establish a 6,000+ acre ATV/Off road vehicle park adjacent to state gamelands in his district. Made sure the PGC did not get the land to add to the sgl when it came up for sale. Sadly, the ATV park happened.
Be wary of him.

·
Registered
18,707 Posts
Bluetick said:
In many areas it is accepted as the norm and doesn't receive a second look or thought. It is all a matter of perspective. Here, because baiting is not allowed while hunting, many see it as unethical as a result.

·
Registered
18,707 Posts
Bluetick said:
Plant - has roots. Attracts bugs, birds, and other wildlife as a total long term source of nourishment. Roots makes the difference in attractiveness to wildlife... and the current law.
around the plot.

Still to this day, the majority of hunters in Pennsylvania DO NOT support baiting.
Many plots are annuals. They feed other species as long as it is there. The same as some piles of placed bait. I really see no difference in plots versus baiting. Both feed other wildlife bit both are placed to attract a target species.

As to bating not being supported here. Correct. Outside of PA it is widely accepted just as Sunday hunting is. Again a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
CWD isn't the issue, if it were there would be no feeding of deer allowed at any time of year. This about about baiting with corn for hunting.

·
Registered
18,707 Posts
I sometimes use chumming during fishing as a example of some of our hypocrisy as sportsmen. Instead of learning a ocean or lake and seeking the fish out on their terms, chum is used to lure and congregate fish to be caught and sometimes kept. Widely accepted among sportsmen.

But, put a pile of corn in a patch of woods and hunt over it and it is seen as the end of hunting as we know it by some.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
Will the bill permit adding valerian to the corn so the deer are knocked out. It would be so much easier to use tranquilizer bait. No worries about the deer running off if the hunter missed. Saves the trouble of tracking a deer, less wounded deer lost. Makes great sense if you are not into fair chase.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Many hunters violate all kinds of game laws. You don't cure the problem by legalizing the act they are commiting. How many times have you reported bait to a WCO?

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
What ever happen to hunting for game? Why do so many or at least the vocal ones what to find short cuts at any cost?

Lets hunt Sunday's, start deer season on Saturday, use semi-auto rifles, use electronic devices to alert where game is at that moment, allow shelled corn as bait?

Let's do these type of things because some else is currently breaking the law to do them....It is not easy to enforce...so lets make it legal.....I see baiting all the time, but I don't report it????

What is SPORTSMANSHIP ans FAIR CHASE coming to?

1 - 20 of 298 Posts