1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEMORANDUM
Posted: January 14, 2013 12:03 PM
To: All House members
Subject: Legislation Regarding Elk Hunting Licenses (Former HB 1899)
In the near future, I will be re-introducing legislation to ensure that at least one resident of the Elk Management Area receives an opportunity to purchase an elk hunting license each year the Pennsylvania Game Commission conducts an elk hunting season.

As you may know, Pennsylvania is home to several hundred free-roaming elk. These elk are found in the northern portion of the state, primarily in the region known as the Elk Management Area, as defined by the Commission.

The Commission annually calculates the number of elk hunting licenses that must be issued to manage the herd. Currently, the Commission allocates the opportunity to purchase elk hunting licenses through an annual drawing, which is not restricted to residents of the Commonwealth. Each year, approximately 20,000 applications from throughout the country are submitted for a chance to purchase a handful of licenses.

Since a significant portion of the Elk Management Area consists of privately owned lands, farmers in this region frequently contend with crop damage caused by elk. In addition, other residents are inconvenienced and harmed by elk/human conflicts. The annual drawing provides a means to distribute elk hunting licenses, but it fails to adequately recognize the contributions made by Elk Management Area residents in maintaining Pennsylvania’s elk herd.

The legislation that I will be re-introducing would ensure that at least one resident of the Elk Management Area receives an opportunity to purchase an elk hunting license each year by means of a raffle. The raffle would be open only to residents of this area. All unsuccessful applicants for the raffle would be eligible for the subsequent drawing (or other future means of selection) conducted by the commission. By instituting this raffle, the Commonwealth would be recognizing the contributions and sacrifices made by residents of the Elk Management Area in maintaining the elk herd for the benefit of all Pennsylvanians.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=10909

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HB577
An Act amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, further providing for elk hunting licenses.
Action(s)
PN 0639
Referred to GAME AND FISHERIES,Feb. 8, 2013

Reported as committed from GAME AND FISHERIES, March 13, 2013

First consideration, March 13, 2013
Laid on the table, March 13, 2013

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PN 0639 Referred to GAME AND FISHERIES, Feb. 8, 2013
Reported as committed, March 13, 2013
First consideration, March 13, 2013
Laid on the table, March 13, 2013
Removed from table, May 6, 2013
Second consideration, May 7, 2013
Re-committed to APPROPRIATIONS, May 7, 2013

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree.. A bill designed to pander to your electorate

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am opposed to it because the people who live in the elk range have no more right to a reserved elk license than the people who live in Berks county. This is nothing more than more pandering for votes by Haluska and never should see the light of day.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I think its a great idea. Why not allow the folks that put up with the everyday inconvenience of the elk and the tourists a better chance to harvest an elk.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Next we can be like KY and give them to all land owners who have so much acreage in the range. Who can then in turn sell it to the highest bidder.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Well the number one reason is because they are not entitled anymore than any other citizen of PA! While they have the tourists, they also have the revenue the tourists bring. It is a stupid idea, only done to buy votes.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Sorry John but that is a ridiculous statement. I am a property owner and have had them in my yard and my mothers yard destroying the apple trees. The people in the area are fed up with the Elk hammering there trees and bushes all winter because they would rather winter in our valleys than in the areas that were created to cater to them. 2 weeks ago at about 4:30 AM I almost hit one. At the last moment it exhaled and I saw the steam come out of its mouth and made a sharp turn or I have hit it. Some of the locals have trouble with Elk goring their dog and trying to stamp them with their hooves. Last year there was 2 to 3 elk a week hit by cars on Rt 255 and 555. The idea was brought up last year when the residents met with the game commission officials over the problems with them being in towns.
Tourism is another topic. Myself and most of the other residents make nothing off the tourism business. The businesses do. The largest amount of people that come to visit are great people and have respect but there are those that do not hesitate to go up on some ones porch because they can get a better picture. And they feel the are entitled to do it. I you own property in the Winslow Hill or Medix run area and want to sell it you are likely going to make money over what you paid for it. If you want to keep your land you pay higher taxes because it is worth more. For the people that live on Winslow Hill they are 3 minutes out of town yet for the last couple of months it takes 45 minutes to get off the hill (based on information from some that live their).
Myself, I am not in favor of it. At what point to you draw the line on who is in the Elk range. Where there are 100 elk or where a stray one comes thru. That is where politics comes in.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
John S said:
Well the number one reason is because they are not entitled anymore than any other citizen of PA! While they have the tourists, they also have the revenue the tourists bring. It is a stupid idea, only done to buy votes.
Maybe they need to create another Governors tag with the proceeds going back to the residents who experience damages. ??? Apparently they are dealing with negative issues that give all of us something wonderful.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sorry, nothing ridulous about it, it is political pandering, plain and simple. Tell me how assuring one person from the elk range getting a tag is going to compensate all the other people who have or percieve they have elk problems. I will save you time, it will do nothing! That is nothing other than getting votes for Haluska. Giving special consideration to people in one part of the state because of where they live is nonsense. If there are real problems, and I am not saying there are not, then the Representative is in a position to do something regarding traffic control and other things to give those people some relief. The reserved tag is a stupid idea and will solve nothing. The problems present now will still be present after a local get a special tag.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You are correct that that tag solves nothing and that is why I am not for it.
Haluska looks to be from the Patton Area. I don't see how this will help him politically.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So maybe we should offer a state sponsored incentive for the folks who put up with the tourism and other problems in say:

Amish Country

NC for the leaf peepers and other tourists

Gettysburg

Liberty Bell and Philly (founding fathers)

And the list goes on.

Offer this elk tag(s) and I see no reason the rest of the tourism related citizens shouldn't think they should be entitled to a state freebies... for the headaches and inconveniences.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If he's doing it for votes then he needs to move a little further north, as none of his constituents live in the elk range.

A guaranteed elk range inhabitant license has been talked about for years with many in the agency quietly supporting it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts