The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
14,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To: All House members
Subject: Theft of Trail Cameras

More and more hunters are using trail cameras to identify and pattern wildlife. Unfortunately, there has also been an increase in the number of cameras stolen. We need to do more to give hunters protection of their investment and property.

That is why I am introducing legislation to add a specific crime within the Game Code for the stealing of trail cameras and devices used to visually record wildlife. Specifically, my bill will add these cameras to the section of Title 34 that covers hunter harassment and the theft or destruction of other hunting related personal property, such as tree stands, blinds, and decoys. It also increases the penalty for such acts to a summary of the first degree and mandates the loss of a hunting license for one year. The loss of license also triggers the requirement for a violator to attend a remedial hunter education and safety course.

I hope you will join me in providing hunters this important property protection.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To: All House members
Subject: Theft of Trail Cameras

More and more hunters are using trail cameras to identify and pattern wildlife. Unfortunately, there has also been an increase in the number of cameras stolen. We need to do more to give hunters protection of their investment and property.

That is why I am introducing legislation to add a specific crime within the Game Code for the stealing of trail cameras and devices used to visually record wildlife. Specifically, my bill will add these cameras to the section of Title 34 that covers hunter harassment and the theft or destruction of other hunting related personal property, such as tree stands, blinds, and decoys. It also increases the penalty for such acts to a summary of the first degree and mandates the loss of a hunting license for one year. The loss of license also triggers the requirement for a violator to attend a remedial hunter education and safety course.

I hope you will join me in providing hunters this important property protection.
Wouldn't the theft already fall under theft of property?

Why would there be a separate law?

Seems like the term hate crime just to added something that is not needed and is already against the law.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Theft is already on the books and covers everything you own. i think what this does is allow the PGC to revoke a persons hunting license for theft and thats a good thing. i think he is getting a little smarter after the doe license thingy.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Meh, I think I'll pass. I agree there is an issue with them but I highly doubt adding it to the Game code is going to substantively change anything. Why create another law just for the sake of doing so? Frankly I would rather see trail cameras banned on public land. I'm of the opinion public land should be governed that everything you take in with your comes out with you that day from candy wrappers on up to treestands.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Theft is already on the books and covers everything you own. i think what this does is allow the PGC to revoke a persons hunting license for theft and thats a good thing. i think he is getting a little smarter after the doe license thingy.
This is a police matter, theft is theft, there is probably more theft of trail,cameras on private property than game lands. Theft is what the police are for. This clown must be trying to impress someone.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Another law is going to do absolutely nothing to deter theft. The only thing that will mitigate the issue is for the manufactures to incorporate better theft protection on a widespread basis.

Anytime you leave valuable property in the woods you are risking theft, period. Try tying $100 bills to trees and see how long they last. That is how thieves view trail cams.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
i would like to see trail camera manufacturers incorporate a exploding dye pack and GPS chip into the camera. set the camera and activate the dye pack. take the camera off the tree with out deactivating the dye pack and BLAMMO....you are now leaving the woods with purple clothes and skin.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
I like the idea. To say it is a matter of theft....so is stealing traps. And the PGC does investigate that. I also like the idea of license revocations for thieves ( much like trap thieves lose their priveledges ).

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
license revocation for theft should be 2 years for the first offense, and life time for the second.

Reactions: Bigbrownie

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I like the idea. To say it is a matter of theft....so is stealing traps. And the PGC does investigate that. I also like the idea of license revocations for thieves ( much like trap thieves lose their priveledges ).
Brownie, there is a huge difference between stealing traps or fur, both those offenses are prohibited by the Game and Wildlife Code and are within the jurisdiction of the PGC. Trail cameras are not authorized by the game and wildlife code and really have not a thing to do with the PGC, they are the jurisdiction of the police departments the same as your vehicle or your wallet or your check book etc. Why would anyone think it is the job of the PGC to track down and prosecute trail camera thieves that were taken from SGL's or private property? It is a bone head bill that was made only to get some votes. I think our few wardens have enough to do without investigating a theft that belongs to the police.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
I don't mind them adding this to the Game and Wildlife code. Chances are the same pieces of crap that are stealing cameras and stands are likely poaching.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nonsense! One has not a thing to do with the other!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you don't see a difference between a tool used to trap animals and a camera that is doing nothing but taking pictures and is not covered in the law, you have a comprehension problem of what a warden's job is. I will tell you what their job is not, protecting or retrieving your camera that you left out in the woods.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
If you don't see a difference between a tool used to trap animals and a camera that is doing nothing but taking pictures and is not covered in the law, you have a comprehension problem of what a warden's job is. I will tell you what their job is not, protecting or retrieving your camera that you left out in the woods.
I agree that right now it is not their job unless the law is changed. For some reason you seem to oppose anything that would increase a Warden's responsibility. I disagree with that.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are free to disagree all you want. However, it is not the responsibility of the PGC to babysit your scouting devices, a trail camera is not a hunting tool, it is a scouting tool. Traps are tools to take fur bearers. Would you like them to be responsible for the vehicle you use to go hunting if it gets stolen. There is no difference!

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Yes there is. Not going to argue with you about it though. Doubt this bill goes anywhere anyway.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I certainly hope not. It would be no different than having the wardens prosecuting people who are hunting too close to someone else's tree stand or being in it.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
They keep trying to pile all these additional responsibilities on the Game Warden because Game Wardens will undoubtedly do a better job of catching the people responsible for the crimes than any Police force ever has.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
T

They keep trying to pile all these additional responsibilities on the Game Warden because Game Wardens will undoubtedly do a better job of catching the people responsible for the crimes than any Police force ever has.

Dick Bodenhorn
I hear that. I called the PSP last season when someone stole 6 #2 Bridgers, the investigating officer who responded looked like he was having a hard time keeping a straight face. Total waste of time. I didn’t even bother when I had two beaver traps walk this past winter. I did tell the local PGC warden, not because I thought he would get them back, but because they had my Trapper ID number on them. He had some interesting stories involving trap thefts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts