The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HB 1146 seeks to remove antler restrictions for anyone holding a senior license. The "new AR" will a 3" spike.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...e=B&bn=1146

Language:

Section 1. Title 34 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated
Statutes is amended by adding a section to read:

<span style="font-style: italic">§ 2321.1. Senior hunting license holders.
A person who holds a valid Pennsylvania senior hunting
license may hunt and kill with an authorized weapon one deer
that has two or more points to one antler or that has one antler
three or more inches in length during an antlered deer season.</span>

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Co-sponsor memo:

MEMORANDUM

Posted: March 21, 2013 10:35 AM

To: All House members

Subject: Removal of antler restrictions
Removal of antler restrictions

In the near future, I will be introducing legislation that would remove the deer antler restrictions for senior hunters.

It has been brought to my attention by senior hunters who believe that, for a variety of reasons, the relatively new requirements of counting points on buck deer can become difficult with age. The vast majority of our senior hunters are seasoned sportsmen and sportswomen who have paid their dues to the Agency.

I am confident that any advantage that this bill provides would be appreciated, especially as senior license holders’ future hunting opportunities begin to lessen.

If you have any questions, please contact Margaret Tricarico ([email protected] or 717-772-5568 or Democratic Extension 6168).

Thank you!

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=12245

sponsor and co-sponsors:

INTRODUCED BY READSHAW, PICKETT, GODSHALL, HARHAI, GOODMAN,
KOTIK, KORTZ, CALTAGIRONE, JAMES, COHEN, KAVULICH, QUINN AND
CLYMER,

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Great idea, the ones who want to wait on a large buck still have every oppertunity to do so. We have made it easier for everyone to kill deer, why not seniors. Most of these hunters will not be hunting out of heated blinds over a food plot where they can count horns. We have a bow season for mostly young hunters who can climb trees, that lasts what seems like forever. They have food plots, trail cameras, and many other things to aid in killing deer. Time to make it easier for these hunters.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are over 100K hunters, closer to 125K that will be eligible for this reduced AR standard.

I just find it very interesting that several co-signers of this bill are USP supporters, including Godshall who is a Honorary lifetime member. Who also complain of too many deer being killed.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The only joke is how easy we have made it for todays young hunters. When these men hunted most had to go to the mountains and they didnt hunt over sunflowers, and everything else. The joke is letting all these easy ways of killing a deer today go on. These guys payed there dues, they didnt have bows with 325FPS speed, they didnt have climbing stands that were as comfortable as a reclining chair. They didnt have 80% letoff bows. You tell me who has it easy. Todays hunters are spoiled and full of greed. I would love to see AR done away with completly so the hunting greed would go away again. Again even before AR many big bucks were killed , look at the books.And most of those deer in those books were found by scouting and then hunted. They didn't just sit and wait for them to walk on a food plot. It's all wat you want to shoot.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bluetick said:
There are over 100K hunters, closer to 125K that will be eligible for this reduced AR standard.

I just find it very interesting that several co-signers of this bill are USP supporters, including Godshall who is a Honorary lifetime member. Who also complain of too many deer being killed.
Ya Bluetick and how many of that 125k are in bad shape from years of hard labor, I know many. And as said they get in the thickets they dont sit in heated blinds over bait. Most barely make ends meet with there small pensions. If it keeps them hunting I'm for it. For the greedy hunters that say well if there in bad shape they shouldn't be out there, remember one day that may be you.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
The only joke is how easy we have made it for todays young hunters.
I do agree with you. Seniors should have been exempt from the beginning and youth never should have been. what ever happened to EARNING your breaks in life?
I find BT's numbers interesting in the fact that he is correct...........people who are against more deer harvest are pushing a law that will result in higher harvest most likely without taking away elsewhere?! May as well just scrap it all and turn this into a free for all.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you look at it this way, many hunters hunt posted land. It is not like it was years ago. If you happen to be a senior with land and food plots, which many do. There still going to kill nice deer. Most of these kills will be on public land. And out of that 125k i bet one 2/3s of these seniors still dont score. And how many of these 125k are on public land? So that number means very little. I agree letting 10 year olds shoot a buck with a $2 hunting license and NO passed hunter Ed. shoot any type buck is not right either.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More than likely will be, I am / was a welder for the last quarter of a century. Now doing planning and estimation - but the years of laying in the mud, crawling on concrete floors and or rocks, and the vibrations from various equipment has taken its toll... as well as the hearing and eyesight.

I still can not support this. Nor, do the greater majority of senior hunters who might be old, but have their pride,and understand and appreciate the enjoyment of the hunt over anything else.

I know you disagree. So be it. But playing the poor broken down card doesn't fly. For every trades guy in this situation, you have another that sat at a desk or was otherwise not as taxed during the working years.

We all get old. Hunters will always find a way to hunt. Might be taking a nice flat tram road on the search for squirrels, or not going as far during the deer season. But by golly, being out there is the thing and it always will be.

That and the enthusiasm I have shown and also seen by the younger crowd to assist, check up on, or help out an older hunter. Sportsmen, unlike our larger society help each other.

There has been more than one day I took a good hike with the intended purpose of driving a deer to an older hunter. sometimes they knew - other times they didn't. made no difference to me if I knew them or not. Personally, I have always stopped to help drag deer shot by those with limitations. Seen many others do exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have done the same myself but them days are near over. And i doubt you are 70 yet. Then tell us how you feel from your days of labor. Big difference between 50 and 65 from what i have seen. There is far more posted land and ublic land hunting is not as good because the deer are on the private land habitat food plots. I could care less either way.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
So many have there pride they also have the right to not pull the trigger, or pull the trigger. Todays hunters have become greedy and want everyone to let a buck walk so they have a easier chance of seeing a nice one. What other true reason can you give me. And its proven many MY hunters are quiting the sport before 16,but its ok to let them shoot a trophy and just quit.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pure opinion - like yours.

Is the nature of the boards.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
Alpine Shooter said:
The only joke is how easy we have made it for todays young hunters.
I do agree with you. Seniors should have been exempt from the beginning and youth never should have been. what ever happened to EARNING your breaks in life?
I find BT's numbers interesting in the fact that he is correct...........people who are against more deer harvest are pushing a law that will result in higher harvest most likely without taking away elsewhere?! May as well just scrap it all and turn this into a free for all.
Not being mean but look at the record books. The free for all years produced many good bucks without being farmed on food plots. And guys hunted then, walked for miles, etc. These years of AR has brought nothing but fueds amungst hunters, loss of hunting lands and turned the sport into being about money, leases, etc. All to kill a deer. And that's pure fact. And I would bet some of these USP guys are older hunters who walked and pushed deer. I dont care who sponsers this bill, I feel these hunters wo earned there time in the woods, I'm talking seniors who are not in good condition but still want to hunt. The ones who are fortunate to have great health, thees no reason for them to want to shoot a sub legal AR buck .I have hunted 40 years I never went into the woods looking to shoot the first buck I see, and neither did 90% of these seniors.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with what you said 100 percent. But why not do away with the AR all together. What ever happened to the "the trophy is in the eyes of the beholder". I do not get much time to hunt because I am one of the few in the world that still work for a living. I personally would be just as happy with a spike as i would be a 10 point.

As far as food plots go, I personally think they should be illegal. There is no difference in planting a acre food plot in the woods, or a pile of apples. In my eyes it should all be considered baiting.

I also agree that the old timers have earned their keep. They are the ones that brought us all into hunting. everyone that is on this site had to get started somewhere.

I would just like to see AR go away all together! I am not a trophy hunter, and PAGC is trying to PA a monster buck state. So they can get more money for nonresident tags. It should be the hunters choice on what deer they harvest. If you want a larger deer, you wait.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
The only joke is how easy we have made it for todays young hunters. When these men hunted most had to go to the mountains and they didnt hunt over sunflowers, and everything else. The joke is letting all these easy ways of killing a deer today go on. These guys payed there dues, they didnt have bows with 325FPS speed, they didnt have climbing stands that were as comfortable as a reclining chair. They didnt have 80% letoff bows. You tell me who has it easy. Todays hunters are spoiled and full of greed. I would love to see AR done away with completly so the hunting greed would go away again. Again even before AR many big bucks were killed , look at the books.And most of those deer in those books were found by scouting and then hunted. They didn't just sit and wait for them to walk on a food plot. It's all wat you want to shoot.

Nail on head Alpine.
I've been saying it for years on here, and as you will come to find, it's not a very popular stance..... especially from the "Senior Lite" crowd.
Those "seniors" that in my eyes aren't REALLY at senior status. The 60'ish crowd that still has some physical skill, and half-full mental acumen left.

I'll say it again, most of the 60'ish guys will pass on inferior Buck, and I doubt the true oldsters, the late 70, 80'ish guys, are going to turn the whitetail world on it's head by over-harvesting the young males.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I agree, you would think that us older hunters, and I'm no senior, but we HUNTED with the intent to kill a large buck. Some did shoot a small 1 towards the end but we had plenty of nice bucks killed in those years and yyes those are what I am calling seniors also. Some of these guys still have the hunt in there blood just not the body to do it all.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Pretty low opinion of seniors, darn low and just another insult, like removing antler restrictions. Condecending nonsense Fleroo.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Something they learned on TV.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts